Do I have OBD II or Something Else?

I recently took my 1996 F-250 to Autozone for a scan of my check engine light. (Comes on every so often-doesn't stay on, though). Went outside with a clerk and neither of us could find the OBD II connector! I have a factory manual for this vehicle and checked the stated locations (under dash) and found nothing! While the Autozone employee was fishing around, just for the heck of it I checked under the hood. I found a connector near the power brake booster that reads EEC-IV on its cover. Is this what the scanning tool has to be hooked up to? The cover didn't come off, either. It almost seems as it may need a special tool to remove it. Does anyone have any answers to this situation? I thought that *all* 1996 and after vehicles had OBD II. An old-timer that was in the store at the time told me that since this was a 250 and not a

150, that they had the 'old-style' computers in them. Does this sound accurate? Now I stll have to find a way to get that @#^%$ cover off! Thanks in advance for any help! The Doctor
Reply to
The Doctor

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:31:23 -0800, The Doctor rearranged some electrons to form:

One of the requirements for OBDII is that the data link connector is located near the driver's position. You have OBDI.

Reply to
David M

Your 1996 has OBDI... OBDII began in 1997 for Ford F-250.

Reply to
websurfer

Strange being that there were mandated by 96 on all vehicles. Some had them sooner than 96

Reply to
TheSnoMan

If you have OBDI, like it appears you have, the connectors are accessed by pulling them down from under the shield. there are 2 connectors you need to access. The one marked EEC-IV and the single wire connector right next to it. Have them hook the scanner up for the Ford OBDI connectors to pull codes.

Reply to
trgrhappy

Doc, Ford called there OBD-1, EEC-IV. and OBDII is EEC-V. Its all a proprietary thing. But as for OBD-II mandates, yes it was mandated that in 1996 all auto makers were required to START installing OBD-II on all vehicles. The problem with this, is your truck didnt have to be made in 96 for it to be a 96 model year truck. It could have been made anytime after July of 95. All auto makers switch over to the next model year about half way through the previous year, so your 96 may not have been covered by the mandate, and Ford started installing the OBD-II diagnostics after your truck was made. The reason they start making the next year so early, is so that they can have ample stock to fill the dealers lots with. How else are they going to get them out right at the first of the year? So just take it back to Autozone, and have them hook it up to the EEC-IV, and you should have no problems getting your codes.

Pk

Reply to
pkurtz2