6.0L Smoke on start-up

I have a 2003 F-250, 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel with 7,500 miles, purchased new. The engine started smoking blue smoke on start-up at around 3,000 miles and seems to be getting worse. Initially, you would see a puff of black smoke from the tail pipe followed by a lot of blue smoke. I had it to two different dealers and was told by one "smoke out of the tail pipe on any diesel is normal" and the other said he had the mechanic "flash" the computer. After the so called "flash" of the computer, the truck smokes more no then it ever did. Anyone now of a possible cause / solution?

Thanks

Reply to
BD

Does it use oil between changes. If not, I wouldn't worry about it; most diesels will blow some oil around the rings until warmed up. I've had six diesels, both GM and Ford, so I speak from experience.

Reply to
LinuxMan

Not enough information. A brand new engine should not smoke. (period)

Especially a PSD with 7500 miles it is not even broken in yet.

It sounds like your smoke is actually white and not blue. The difference is blue is burning engine oil which could be caused by a leaking valve seal or injector O-ring. Which is relatively serious but white smoke is unburned diesel and would suggest a bad glowplug (not serious). When it is smoking give the exhaust a sniff it should smell like unburned diesel. If it smells sweet or like burning oil then the problem is serious and you need to take it back to the dealer and refuse to take it home till it is fixed. I suggest you get familiar with a website called "the diesel stop" (link below). Join up and post you question there. The site is visited by owners and mechanics that know the 6.0L PSD very well. I suspect they will suggest it is also a glowplug but they would know.

good luck, mark

rock_doctor

I'm not sure where you are located, but as the temperatures start to drop this time of year, you can expect to see more and more smoke when you first start the engine. Don't pay too much attention to the smoke until the engine is warmed up.

Kent

Reply to
Kent