7.3 liter Diesel

Does anyone recall what year the 7.3 liter became available in the E-350? I seem to recall that the 6.9-liter first debuted with the '86MY and I don't think it was around that long. If you know, please reply.

Reply to
Gary Picha
1994?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Someone posted a while back "7.3 was introduced in 1988. 87 was the last year for the 6.9". Note, that doesn't specify whether it's specific to an E or F series vehicle, nor does it take into account the 7.3 PSD (which I think was introduced in 1995).

Agave

My records show that 89 was first year that 7.3 was made availible to trucks wth IDI or InDirect Injection and starting in 96 it went to DI or Direct Injection

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Ford switched from the 6.9 liter to the non-turbocharged 7.3 liter IDI (indirect injection) in 1988.

1988-1991 - 7.3 L International Harvester IDI Diesel V8, 180 hp 1992-1996 - 7.3 L Turbo IDI Diesel V8, 190 hp/395 ft.lbf 1995-1996 - 7.3 L Power Stroke turbo-Diesel V8, 210 hp/425 ft.lbf

There is an excellent article on the F-series Fords in the Online Encyclopaedia WIKIPEDIA

Herb Ludwig

Here is the numbers that I have come up with cross refernced for two different sources fr ford engine from 1986 till 2006. I tweak it when I find data the supports otherwise.

SnoMan

SnoMan

Nice job! As often as this question, and others like it come up, it'd be nice if the Ford Website maintained such an easy to use reference.

Reply to
Agave

Thanks! I actually have engine data going back to about 1960 for all detriot products including Jeep and IH. I plan to go further back when I have the time to do it and update it when I get 07 data.

SnoMan

It seems to me that Herb Ludwig's dates are right and that snowman can also be right, because it depends wether the dates are based on model years or calendar years. Some Ford models were actually on the market a year before the actual calendar year started! (e.g. in Jan 04 started selling 2005 models etc.). Besides, The Wikipedia Encyclopaedia confirms the Herb Ludwig dates.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy

I get my data froma very large library of sevice manuals I have that I can cross referance. Also some sources do not mention that both the

7.3 and 6.0 were offered in 2003, but they were.

SnoMan