74 F-100 engine problems

Hopefully somebody here knows where to look or possibly know of a newgroup like this that deals with Ford engines. I've got a 74 Ford F-100 with a 360 converted to 390 apx 10 years or 40,00 miles ago. I did an in vehicle overhaul, having the heads rebuilt at a machine shop. I replaced rings, rod bearings and did not balance the rods. I replaced the 360 crankshaft with a re-ground 390 crank kit with bearings. It still has decent compression with pump regular knocking at acceleration. Usually a 50/50 gasoline blend eliminates the knocking.

After apx 10,000 miles on the overhaul the engine started vibrating about 30-35 mph or 18-2000 RPM. I get the vibration whether it is in neutral or in gear. Having the older style rebuilt 3-finger pressure plate and way to many miles on the clutch I suspect and out of balance pressure plate might be where the vibration is coming from but don't know for certain. The vibration is getting progressively worse. I replaced the vibration damper apx 5 years ago and the vibration did not improve. The conventional ignition was changed over years ago prior to the vibration problem and I recently had it scoped and there were no problems. Advancing and retarding the timing beyond the books does not help with the vibration.

Any suggestions on where to look next?? I'm trying to avoid the clutch. Being a 4X4 with a minor nuisance oil leak in transfer case to deal with, changing the clutch is not an option until it wears out. Dealing with the greasy transfer case and extremely heavy cast iron drive train is no picnic and apx 5-700 $'s worth of labor if I don't do it myself.

The biggest problem is oil pressure. Normal in town driving the pressure is fine even at idle. After a short trip on the freeway or high RPM's, the pressure drops the zero when it returns to idle or low RPM's. After returning to idle after driving just a few miles on the freeway I have to pick the RPM's up or I will get a lifter ticking from oil starvation if I sit at a stoplight for a few minutes. I can drive around town all day and the oil pressure will remain normal even at idle speed. If I take the truck on a long haul like an out of town hunting trip I have to add a can of STP or Motor Honey to maintain decent oil pressure. I've pressure tested the oil pump via the oil sender outlet both hot and cold and it is doing it's job.

I don't know if the vibration and oil pressure problem are related but both problems are getting progressively worse. I've talked with a few mechanics and naturally they try to sell an overhaul or short block. None has been able to say where the problem is. At a shop that uses wet back labor speaking through a translator one mechanic that exclusively rebuilds engines all day said main bearings most likely fix the oil pressure problem but he had no idea on where the vibration was coming from. His suggestion was to use 50 weight oil until the engine goes and live with the vibration.

Any suggestions on where to look for the problem or a newsgroup where I might look for answers are appreciated. With all the big-block Ford engines I've owned since the 60's the easy fix to engine problems was finding a wrecked Mercury, T-Bird, LTD or station wagon and using the engine until it wore out. Good used 390's used to be a dime a dozen but now finding a low milage wreck with an engine that is an easy in and out to fit a 1974 drive train is near impossible to find.

Reply to
dcnisbet

Anythjing that attaches to the crankshaft that becomes unbalanced will cause al kinds of problems. The vibration is a symptom. If as you suspect the clutch cover plate has become unbalanced then it can cause the crankshaft to wind up and unwind, or twist if you will. Over a period of time this will cause the metal in the crank to fatigue and it can break. It also puts a stress on the main bearings, and the block itself. You have already eliminated the harmonic balancer, but did you buy the correct one? . Another question that comes to mind is the flywheel itself. Is it the correct balance for the application? Ie the 390 crank may require a "balanced" flywheel, while the crankshaft for the 360 may have been internally balanced, or it could be the reverse. A quick check on autozones web site says the engines use different flywheels. (They got lousy parts, but the catalog is a great cross reference guide)

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
chefholloway

id look at the harmonic balancer and flywheel/clutch . as for the oil pressure, there are several push in oil gally plugs on that engine, maybe one came out. did you use new cam bearings and oil pump? how much clearance did the rods and mains have when assembing it?

ds549