Ford Ranger with a V8?

Did they ever produce a Ranger with a 302 V8 and if so what year? I was an autoshop teacher and have a completely rebuilt 289 that has set in my garage on an engine stand for several years. I am now in need of a small pick up and it seems logical to get one that I can use this engine in. If not then an F100? Retired now so money is a problem.

Reply to
chefholloway

I don't think so but the Explorer is based on the Ranger chassis and a V8 was available in the Explorer, so there should be provisions for it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, if you go back far enough, there were F100 based "Rangers" that came with a V-8. However if you are talking about the current small style Rangers, they never came with a V-8 from Ford. There are kits available to install a V-8 in a small Ranger. Why not sell the 289 and just buy a V-6 Ranger if you need a small truck? A 289 would fit in any older F100/F150 that came with a 302 - assuming you have a later

289 with the larger bellhousing bolt pattern.

See:

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

There was a proposed SVT ranger with V8 but it never came to be. If you tow, get a full sized. If you hall and the 6 or 7 foot bed of the ranger works, your fine. I hall 800-1000 lbs of sheet plastic for my business now and then with no problems with my 4 cyl. 5 spd. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Check out:

all sorts of info on swapping in a V8 into a ranger.

Reply to
Mike H

Reply to
chefholloway

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:22:14 +0000, JohnR66 rearranged some electrons to form:

"haul"

Reply to
David M