84 fuel problems

Hello, my truck won't get fuel to the fuel pump from either tank (dual tanks) ... I changed the fuel pump then put a short hose from it to a quart jar of gasoline then fired it up and it runs fine, but how far can I get on a quart of gas? Anyway, when I reconnect the hose to the main line from the pump I get nothing no matter how full either tank is. At this point I have the front tank laying on the ground completely disconnected and I'm putting all my hopes on the rear tank. For some reason I thought it was the switch that changes from front to back and being flat broke (I use my truck to make a living) I can't afford parts. Anyway, I by-passed the switch with a piece of hose so that the rear tank and ONLY the rear tank can be the source of gas to the fuel pump. Now, when I crank it nothing happens. Someone told me to flood that line so it has gasoline in it because it could be that all I'm doing is sucking air and the pump won't get it passed the air. Does this make sense? I've tried forcing air through the gasoline inlet hole where you pump gas in at using compressed air to push gas thropugh the line, but so far nothing has gone through, but that could be a lousy seal between the compressed air line and the hole. I'm using a dry rag and I'm thinking maybe to soak it in gas to make a better seal...I don't know on that.

Anyone have any ideas what to do with this thing? I'm stumped and starving to death can't be far behind if I don't get this thing running again.

Thanks, mram48

Reply to
mram48

crank it nothing happens. Someone told me to flood that line

By the way, *see above note I think* I checked to see if there was any current to the switch under the truck that switches from front tank to rear and found nothing. Another question would be does someone have to flip the switch inside the cab so I can check the current under the truck? I removed the switch at one point and ran current directly from the battery to it and it works just peachy keen, but I wonder if somehow it got stuck 1/2 way open (or closed) so that not enough fuel from either tank might be going through? That doesn't make sense to me, but you never know. I've turned on the ignition, nothing, ignition off, same thing, put the inside switch in both positions, same same... In other words, zilch. That's why I wonder if someone has to flip the switch from inside so I can check for current under the truck. The thing worked just fine the day everything stopped. Thinking about stopped, everything stopped when I got going about 45 mph. Under 45 everything was fine it seemed. I got on the freeway and it seemed like I was running out of gas. I tried twice to get on the freeway. The first time it tried to die. Then I found I could do 35 mph, but when I speed up it died and has never run properly again except in the driveway with a quart jar, but again, how far (or fast for that matter) can I get on a quart of gas? ;) Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm all but totally stumped.

Thanks, mram48 snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
mram48

Hve you checked for a clogged fuel filter? It would explain your freeway problems. Could be you got a bad tank of gas with lots of crud in it, which quickly clogged the filter. Quick test: bypass the filter, after making sure you have clean gas, other wise you will be investing in a carb rebuild or new injectors. (not sure which you have)

Reply to
Mike

Wouldn't you know it...it started up for the first time in almost a month and I got it around the block through the alleyway then it died right at the end of the alley before I could back it into the backyard. It still felt like it was running out of gas, but of course it wasn't. I did notice that when I poured a little gas in the carb it seemed like the carb was real hot and the gas was almost wanting to boil away before it had a chance to run again, but I did get it started again, but now I'm affraid to drive it anywhere because last time I took it anywhere I had to pay $60 to get it towed three miles. The tow prior to that was almost $200 so you can see why I'm testy about driving it anywhere. I'm running on the rear tank and have the front tank in the bed totally disconnected, right about where I left off in the last post.. I'm still stumped. I can go about a block now and poof...dead. It feels like its running out of gas, but it has gas in there, no doubt about that. It also has a nice, clean fuel filter too so that's ruled out. :( Could it be the gas I'm using? It looks and smells good... I looked at it in a jar and everything looks good from what I can see so far. Oh yeah, it's an 84 Ford 1/2 ton straight six, automatic trans. I have about a week then the inspection sticker runs out as does the registration...man, this sucks... HELP! I'm dying here!

mram48

Reply to
mram48

Have a 77 F100 302 auto that was a pain for awhile. Started out with fixing it at a dead stop (wouldn't start) by pulling the kill switch the last owner put in, only didn't stay fixed and spread. Acting along that line but never fuel - could always pop a hose to the carb crank couple times and find fuel. Only once warmed up is when it would die going down the road, play hell coughing and plain wouldn't start. Cool down a little and I could limp home. Eventually got it hot and in a non-start condition and pulled the center distributor wire to the coil. There was weak spark conditions if not any spark - center coil would separate itself at a certain temperature and took all of $15 for a new coil to fix. The rest - when I could start it but not on the money, I was doing wrong by pumping the carb starting a engine warm - when supposed to be floored (pumping + warm = flooding). Only supposed to pump the accelerator pump a couple times when cold starting motocraft carbs. Same w/ newer Ranger I picked up - better to floor it and hold it if the first start is missed.

Reply to
Flasherly