'86 F150 lugs when warmed up

Spinning out the driveway on a cool morning my '86 F150 will lay rubber all the way to the corner. Just stab the pedal and away you go! Once it warms up to running temperature, however, it's a different story. Push down on the accelerator just a little bit hard, and the engine coughs and stalls like it was being flooded out. It'll still run OK if you accelerate very very slowly, but accelerating slowly when entering a roaring freeway, for instance, not a recipe for longevity.

It's got an engine with only 70K miles on it. 302, Electronic Fuel Injected. Anybody got any ideas? My mechanic a very knowledgeable fellow, but he couldn't find anything. Ran a computer check, which fingered some gismo on the throttle body, but changing that gismo didn't help. Says fuel pumps OK.

Buddy of mine said that something called the "oxygen sensor" could be at fault. Looked for it, but couldn't find it. Where would it be on an old '86 F150?

Any and all suggestions appreciated----including suggestions as to what other internet sites might be able to provide expert advice.

Thanks in advance. Frank

Reply to
Clint

The "O2" sensor is downstream of the manifold in the exhaust, before the catalytic converter.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:40:58 -0500, Clint rearranged some electrons to form:

On the exhaust pipe.

Reply to
David M

My wife had a similar problem with her 86 Jag, turned out to be the coil breaking down after it was run about 5 or 6 miles. Let it cool down and it was good for about the same distance.

Good luck...Ted

Reply to
BONNIE L SEAVER