88 F-150 Cab Loose from frame

I have an 88 Ford F-150 pickup. The cab is loose from the frame on the drivers side. The reason is because the floor rusted out on that side, and there is a reinforcing bar, which is part of the floor. That bar also rusted out and is the part that is connected to the frame. Apparently from moving around, the rear rubber mount on that side is also halfway slipped out of the cab.

I bought the truck this way. I knew the floor had been patched but never noticed the cab being loose. Besides this, the truck ran well. I have to replace the rear brakes, a u-joint, and a couple door latches. Otherwise it ran perfect. The reason I'm posting this is because this is more than just an annoyance, which causes the cab to shift when I hit bumps in the road, and occasionally the drivers door wont latch without lifting on the door. The real problem is that the truck dont steer right. Taking it up to 55mph, I nearly went into a ditch right after I bought it. The steering was erratic and almost uncontrollable. I took the truck to a shop to get the front end aligned. The guy asked me what is wrong, and I told him about the erratic steering. He checked the alignment, steering parts, and front tires and said everything is fine. That's when I mentioned that the cab is loose, and he told me that is the cause of the problem. The steering column moves with the cab and is not working with the frame at the same time. He told to take it to a frame and body shop.

Actually, this is only a farm truck which was sold for a low price. I'm sure a body shop would charge more than I paid for the truck. I'm handy, so I figure I can fix this myself for not a lot of money. My question is whether any of you have run across this same thing, and what you did to fix it?

One guy told me to just bolt a piece of treated 2x4 to the frame and fasten the floor to it. I suppose that would be better than what I have now, but I'd rather do something a little more secure and made from metal. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
jim

I bought a truck that was in a fire, I went to junk yard and found the same truck with a totaled rear end. I unbolted cab took truck on a trailer, they lifted it off with their forklift & put new cab back on. Went home and bolted up the new cab...worked out fine...

Reply to
75yrs.experience

While the thought of changing the whole cab has occurred to me, finding one that's in good shape is not too likely for an 88. And I'm sure it;s a big job. It's not just the mounting bolts. There's lots of wiring, linkages, shifter, steering column, plus changing the doors, and I keep thinking of more stuff. Seems like a huge job, and that's only if I could find one thats not rusted as badly.

I think fixing the floor/mounting is more realistic and cost effective.

I can understand that if yours was burned, there was little choice.

Reply to
jim

Old Ford cab mounts rusting out is so common it's practically their second function. Patch panels are probably still available pretty cheap if your handiness includes cutting/welding.

I think that is the most common solution, except I doubt most are treated, or bolted. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Where would someone find these patch panels? I dont have a clue where to look.

Reply to
jim

You can just about rebuild the truck from here :-)

Reply to
SC Tom

I'd start here:

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Sherman is a name that comes to mind off the top of my head, there may be others. You can probably find them from LMC Truck as well although I bet they just buy from someone like Sherman and mark them up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied. It looks like this truck is going to the junkyard, since the engine is probably a goner, but I'll keep this in mind for future trucks.

One question I still have. To the person who suggested replacing the cab. If someone changes the cab on a truck, how do they license it? All the registration code tags go with the cab, so it's more or less a different truck with a cab change? I can imagine the amount of red tape nad expense that would involve at the D.O.T.

Reply to
jim

I was living in California at the time(1980)with a lot of free time. I was buying & selling compact trucks at the time. (Couriers, Luvs) I would buy as cheap as possible, do a cosmetic restoration and resell them. I came across a Chevy Luv, that was in a fire, the cab was burnt up. I found a junk yard that had a Luv with a good cab. I unbolted the cab in my garage, put truck on a trailer, the junk yard lifted it off with a forklift, and then lifted the new cab on for me. Back at my garage I bolted up the new cab, did the wiring, and that was that.(the cab was complete, doors, etc.) I had it resprayed at Econo Paint for $100. bought for new tires for $100. bought a used camper shell, installed carpet (remnants) in the bed, bought a used c.b & a TV and installed them. I had less than $1000. invested and sold it for $2500. No one ever asked about any numbers. I did have the original title......

Reply to
75yrs.experience

Ok, I can see that, but if that truck was ever stolen or in a crash, or other situation where the police had to read the VIN number, there would be a problem for the current owner.

Sounds like you did ok on that deal though.

Thanks

Reply to
jim