88' F-150 I think...fuel problem. PLEASE HELP???

Hi I just replaced my fuel pump (frame mounted) and fuel filter. Truck was running good, then I was driving down the road it it completly quit. tried to start it and it did the same thing as when the pump went. I ran a test from the test terminal and the pump started right up... any idea's? I know I should shoot the thing and put it out of its misery but hey I love my truck!

Thanks!

Reply to
Knight

Did you install them in the right direction of flow? john

Reply to
johnny

Yes its all in the correct direction

Reply to
Knight

Check the fuel pump relay on the fender well by the brake master cylinder. I thought my fuel pump was out until another guy told me about the relay. I have an 89' so they should be the same.

Reply to
Steve Morris

If it is the same as the 89 there are three fuel pumps - one in each tank and a high pressure pump which feed the fuel rails. This is not the first time I have alerted US F150 owners to the structure of the fuel system (I am in Australia where Ford stopped making F150's in

1989 - I have one of the last). My F150 has a low pressure fuel pump in each tank. These feed to a gadget located behind the high-pressure fuel pump - the one which feeds the engine fuel rails. The gadget - called the dual function resevoir - is purely mechanical - whichever tank is switched on directs fuel which causes a diphragham in the DFR to close off the other tank and allow the high pressure pump to draw from the chosen tank. It is a neat system which, occasionally, causes problems which are difficult to diagnose.
Reply to
ken kerrison

Thanks Ken, But I know the layout of my fuel system... I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Reply to
Knight

On Mon 24 Nov 2003 05:47:08p, Knight assaulted the computer and came up with this:

There is a fuel filter before and after the frame pump... check both of them? One is metal (after) and the one is a paper element in a plastic housing (before). One or both may be in need of changing? Just a thought!

Reply to
Dave...