89 F350 no clearance/tail lights - help?

My clearance & tail lights were going on & off every few minutes for a while, now they are out completely. I checked the fuse & relay, they're both OK. Is there a circuit breaker somewhere that might have failed?

Reply to
hausdr

Dave Lee

"hausdr" wrote: < 89 F350 clearance/tail lights >

Clearance & tail lights were going on & off. Then they went out completely. Fuse & relay are both OK. ______________________________________________

This condition could result from a defective light switch. Current going through a poor connection heats up the contacts, the hot contacts deform and break the circuit. With no current, the contacts cool and twist back to reconnect, starting the on-and-off cycle again. Finally the contacts are so deformed they to not reconnect.

To check, remove the connector from the light switch and jump the connector's 12V pin to its clearance/tail light pin. If the lights work, the switch was defective.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan