Help - NO Legacy Tail Ligts

Cheers,

Need some help.

My 95 Legacy has no Taillights. I have headlights, brakelights, directionals, hazard & backup lights.

I have swapped out fuses, still no taillights.

One interesting note. Flipping the "position" switch on the steering wheel does nothing. In either positon I have no taillights or license plate ligts.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Oh yeah, Both filaments come on (in the bulb) when I hit the brakes.

???

Reply to
datadr77

Are your dash lights out too? You've checked all the fuses?

Reply to
Mike G

Dash ligts do come on. All other electrical seems to be working too. Fan, power mirrors, dome light, etc.

I checked / swapped out the fuses loccated in the fusebox under the hood. No Good! Are there fuses located somewhere else? Both Chiltons manual have very little info on this. It does mention "circuit breaker" for headlamps and wiper motor. Can this effect tail lights?

When I "turn" the light switch to the parking light position; the instrument cluster light comes on... but no tail lights or licence plate light.

Tail lights do not come on with the switch in the headlight postion, either.

Thanks

Reply to
datadr77

On some cars the tail light bulb has 2 filaments in it. I'm not sure if this is true for the Legacy or not. So what happens is 1 filament is used for the tail light and another is used for the brake light/turn signal on models where they are combined. It is possible for a single filament to burn out and have the other still working.

Have you tested the bulbs to make sure they are good?

Reply to
Henry Paul

Sounds like you've lost the ground connection to the rear of the vehicle. I believe all the tail-light, brake-light and turn signal grounds are spliced together and body-grounded at a single point. (don't know where)

zero

Reply to
beertender

Both filaments lighting is definitely signs of a bad ground. Without the ground, the current travels through the 2nd filament instead of going to ground where it should.

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

Cheers,

That was it! Bad Ground... thnaks for the assistance

Reply to
datadr77