90K/month service

As someone suggested, I registered my '98 SL2 on the Saturn website and it gave me an estimate of miles/months that my car has been through. It looks like I'm right around the 90 month mark, but I've only gone 69K miles. They recommend new plugs and air filter, servicing the transmission and changing the transmission fluid. My question is, should I pay to have the transmission serviced now or should I wait until I'm actually at 90K miles? I usually have my oil changed every 3 months even though it's only about 1K miles traveled in that time, since I tend to make a lot of short trips. Should I go by time rather than miles for the transmission too?

Reply to
Louis Hom

This would depend on previous maintenance. If you share that information you will likely have a much better chance of receiving intelligent replies.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well, there isn't really anything remarkable about the service/maintenance history on the car. As I said, it's a '98 SL2, AT. I bought it used in '01 with 45K on it. Faithfully had the oil changed every 3K. Dealer did the 60K maintenance in early '03 (though I don't remember everything that that entailed). Moved from San Diego to Central New York in mid '03, and have continued to change the oil every 3K (but not by dealer since he's an hour away). In '03, replaced the alternator, PCV valve, plugs, and wires. In the last 12 months, we have replaced the oxygen sensor, CTS, and ignition module. I guess I have two questions: first, do I have the automatic transimission maintenance done at now 90 months or do I wait to do it at

90K miles (currently at 69K). Second, if I should have it done now, do I need to take it to the dealer or can I just have my trusted local mechanic do it?
Reply to
Louis Hom

Louis,

I would advise you to do a transmission flush, filter replacement, and refill with proper fluid if you do not know the previous history. If you could say for certain that this was done at 60K miles, then I would say take a pass until 90K.

As to doing this, it is actually much easier to do a trans oil change on a Saturn SL then doing the 3K oil and filter change. I'd advise you do it yourself or if you prefer, take it to a trusted and reputable shop. Basically the exact same tools are required (drain pan, wrench/metric socket and ratchet, small spin on oil filter wrench).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman