92 Bronco: Electrical Problem

I have a 92 Bronco 5.8L. I think I have a problem with my electrical=20 system that is showing up in several areas. Initially I was having=20 problems with the windshield wipers sounding like they were labouring=20 when operating - like not enough power getting to the motor. Then the=20 right side power door lock would lock but when I tried to unlock it the=20 lock motor sounded stressed - like not enough power getting to the=20 motor. Now it doesn't work. The right side window used to work and=20 then the switch on the right would only wind it up. Now the left side=20 switch can't control it. The wipers have recently quit although I can=20 hear a clicking sound under the dash area when I switch them on - almost=20 like they aren't getting enough power to move the wipers. The washer=20 fluid pump won't work either.

The ammeter is showing slightly left of centre when the engine is warmed=20 up. Other Fords I have driven usually indicate well right of centre. =20 The alternator is less than a year old. Also, the engine tach increases=20 when I select the wipers on. =20

I'm going to check the wiper motor today but my instincts tell me that=20 this won't be the problem. I'm also going to clean the alternator,=20 ground, and battery connectors as well as check the voltage ouput of the=20 battery with the engine running.

Anybody have any other advice?

--=20 Sti=A9ky sti= snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (amend the =A9 if replying by e-mail)

Reply to
Sti©ky

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:54:10 -0800, Sti©ky rearranged some electrons to form:

Check the ground cables on the frame and body.

Reply to
David M

"David M" wrote : : Check the ground cables on the frame and body. : : -- I vote for the same thing. Whenever electrical bits go weird, especially a whole group of them, It can be traced to a gang connector fulla water and corrosion or a bad frame/engine/ battery ground - and the bad ground wins 9 times outa 10.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

I undid the ground wire to the body and found paint overspray all over=20 the terminal cleaned it up but no change. The frame ground was tight=20 and looked clean - I didn't take it apart though. I finally pulled out=20 the wiper motor and found it hard to rotate the shaft. I pulled the=20 sleeve off and the magnets were fragmented and sticking to the winding. =20 Installed a new motor and it works. =20

Now on to the door locks and windows...

--=20 Sti=A9ky sti= snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (amend the =A9 if replying by e-mail)

Reply to
Sti©ky

"Sti©ky" wrote

I undid the ground wire to the body and found paint overspray all over the terminal cleaned it up but no change. The frame ground was tight and looked clean - I didn't take it apart though. I finally pulled out the wiper motor and found it hard to rotate the shaft. I pulled the sleeve off and the magnets were fragmented and sticking to the winding. Installed a new motor and it works.

Now on to the door locks and windows...

Well, sometimes it's a bad ground, sometimes it just that everything is worn out.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward