93 F150 Slipping Auto Transmission - only 83K miles

I have a 93 f150 XLT with the 5.0L V8. Not sure what trannie model I have.

Last few weeks, when the engine is still cold, it has been slipping in first and occasionally in second. Been fine after engine is warm. Fluid is full and appears clean. Was last changed about 5 years (30K miles) ago.

Truck is driven lightly with occasional light weekend loads. No towing, no heavy duty work.

Should I change fluid again? Is there anything I can check for? Are there any vacuum hoses, etc?

Any thoughts what the problem could be and cost of repairs?

Much thanks! MC

Reply to
Mister C

snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com (Mister C) started a controversy when he said in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

See if it slips when you manually shift it. Sounds like it's low on fluid, but as you say, that's full. Are you checking the fluid level according to the manual?

Reply to
Robotron Tom

My 1995 F-150 did that. Had to have the tranny rebuilt (don't remember zactly what the problem was). Guy said the fluid should be changed every year not like the manual says. I dunno.

Norm

Reply to
Norm

Sorry for the late response. You were exactly right, I was not checking the fluid correctly per the manual. Added about 1/2 quart and all is well.

So next question I have is - how often should the fluid be replaced?

Thanks again! MC

Reply to
Mister C