Slipping Tyranny in '95 f150?

Hi,

I have a 1995 F150 with 4speed OD 2x4 ...

I was towing my 17' runabout boat up the mountains this weekend (with a load of wood, camping stuff in the bed too), and it appeared the transmission was slipping pretty bad, while going up a steep, dirt grade.

Upong further inspection, the transmission oil seemed fine, and then I noticed while the driver selector is in (D) that everything is fine. I always turn off the O/D selector while towing.

So, while the selector is in 1 and 2, it slips, but in D it doesn't. There was a smell of burning in the cab as well.

Is this a clutch problem? Not too keen on the inner workings of an auto tyranny. I figure it needs to be pulled out and rebuilt no matter what. I'm now deciding on having it rebuilt at a shop, or going with one of this online outlets and having it shipped to me, and installing it myself. I hear it's pretty easy actually, just a couple bolts, some strength, and maybe a buddy or two. But no clue yet.

Any suggestions? Ideas of what exactly is happening? Options of places to buy the rebuilds? I think it's a 4R70W transmission??

Also the oil and water temp seems to climb close to scary while on pretty steep hills. Is this normal?

..Nate

Reply to
n8

||Hi, || ||I have a 1995 F150 with 4speed OD 2x4 ... || ||I was towing my 17' runabout boat up the mountains this weekend (with ||a load of wood, camping stuff in the bed too), and it appeared the ||transmission was slipping pretty bad, while going up a steep, dirt ||grade. || ||Upong further inspection, the transmission oil seemed fine, and then I ||noticed while the driver selector is in (D) that everything is fine. ||I always turn off the O/D selector while towing. || ||So, while the selector is in 1 and 2, it slips, but in D it doesn't. ||There was a smell of burning in the cab as well. || ||Is this a clutch problem? Not too keen on the inner workings of an ||auto tyranny. I figure it needs to be pulled out and rebuilt no ||matter what. I'm now deciding on having it rebuilt at a shop, or ||going with one of this online outlets and having it shipped to me, and ||installing it myself. I hear it's pretty easy actually, just a couple ||bolts, some strength, and maybe a buddy or two. But no clue yet. || ||Any suggestions? Ideas of what exactly is happening? Options of ||places to buy the rebuilds? I think it's a 4R70W transmission?? || ||Also the oil and water temp seems to climb close to scary while on ||pretty steep hills. Is this normal? || ||..Nate

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

And BTW, tyranny is slipping in Iraq, as well.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:08:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote:

||I had a trans rebuilt last year. $1700, cheapest deal, used parts. Not a good ||experinence. Being older and wiser now, I would buy a PROFormance transmission ||from whomever, and have it installed, or do it myself. || PROFormance has been the Ford OE replacement builder for decades, now ||available in the aftermarket. || ||On 29 Jun 2004 10:14:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@phatmorton.com (n8) wrote: || ||||Hi, |||| ||||I have a 1995 F150 with 4speed OD 2x4 ... |||| ||||I was towing my 17' runabout boat up the mountains this weekend (with ||||a load of wood, camping stuff in the bed too), and it appeared the ||||transmission was slipping pretty bad, while going up a steep, dirt ||||grade. |||| ||||Upong further inspection, the transmission oil seemed fine, and then I ||||noticed while the driver selector is in (D) that everything is fine. ||||I always turn off the O/D selector while towing. |||| ||||So, while the selector is in 1 and 2, it slips, but in D it doesn't. ||||There was a smell of burning in the cab as well. |||| ||||Is this a clutch problem? Not too keen on the inner workings of an ||||auto tyranny. I figure it needs to be pulled out and rebuilt no ||||matter what. I'm now deciding on having it rebuilt at a shop, or ||||going with one of this online outlets and having it shipped to me, and ||||installing it myself. I hear it's pretty easy actually, just a couple ||||bolts, some strength, and maybe a buddy or two. But no clue yet. |||| ||||Any suggestions? Ideas of what exactly is happening? Options of ||||places to buy the rebuilds? I think it's a 4R70W transmission?? |||| ||||Also the oil and water temp seems to climb close to scary while on ||||pretty steep hills. Is this normal? |||| ||||..Nate || ||Texas Parts Guy

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Are you sure the trans was slipping? It imay have been releasing the torque converter as it should. The 4R70W will appear to operate a in an unusual manner sometimes. If it slips, you should be able to detect a burned oder of the fluid. If it is slipping, it should have set a fault code for this which should show up in a diagnostic scan and, probably, set the amber lamp on the dash. As far as the temp guage climbing, that may explain why you perceive the trans slipping as the ECM may release the torque converter to help cool the engine. The load you describe should be no problem for the truck without overheating which is exactly what I believe is happen. That would also explain why it had a hot smell. The grease on the engine block will do that. Have it checked for overheating and get that problem corrected before you touch the trans.

Reply to
lugnut

LOL....I was just waiting for someone to say something like that!

Keith

Reply to
Keith