93 Ranger running very, very rough!

My 4WD just started running poorly. It runs fine at high rpm but coughs,sputters and jerks until the rpm comes up. When it is failing the check engine light flashes but as the rpm comes up this goes away. I do not know if it will fail again so I thought I would ask what woul you start with in troubleshooting? O2 sensor?

Help before the snow starts again! THX !

Reply to
sparky

I would start by pulling codes.

Your truck is OBD I (on board diagnostics, level 1), and you can buy a code reader specifically for your Ford truck for about $35. It will tell you precisely what is wrong.

I'd pull all of the codes, jot them down, and reset them. Then, when the problem repeats, pull the codes again and start your repairs by going after any code that is on both of the lists.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY BY WORKING ON STUFF THAT IS NOT CAUSING A CODE.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thx Jeff,

I 'll be back....

Reply to
sparky

Some OBD I vehicles can display the stored codes by turning the ignition on and off 5 times in succession within 5 seconds, and holding your tongue against the left side of your mouth, and counting the flash sequence of the Check light. I don't know if Ford uses this convention or not, but the reader is far easier to use and only costs $35.

Buy your code reader at one of the major chains so you can take advantage of their volume buying. The reader I had (I sold the truck that it fits), was made by ACTRON. It came with a manual that described each of the codes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah. The last EEC-IV (OBD I) Ford code reader I bought came from WalMart and was 20 bucks. You might actually find them on the clearance shelf at this point.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

That was Chrysler products, and it was three times. GM you could use a paper clip connect two conectors on the OBD plug under the dash, and Ford you could use an analog, as in with a needle, multimeter and connect the leads to two connectors on the OBD plug under the hood and then count the sweeps.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning