93 xlt f150, gas gauge now

Suddenly, the gas gauge went crazy. Have dual tanks, front tank shows empty and rear tank shows pegged on full side. What would cause both to go at once??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3203 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Burgy

ahhhhh one is empty and one is full?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

aaaaahhhhh, never would have thought of that, very clever (NOT).. but now I know what the LT stands for, LOUSY TROLL!! Don't bother--PLONK !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3231 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Burgy

When I had my 1989 F150 with dual tanks, I could never depend on the gauges. When you change the gas tanks.......and you will, you may need to replace the fuel pump/gauge float in the tanks too. In my case the front tank leaked first. 4 or 5 weeks after changing the front tank, the rear tank started leaking. The rust on the whole tank was real bad.

We cleaned up the front fuel pump assembly as best we could with a small sandblaster and reused. Replaced rear fuel pump assembly with some sort of rebuild, and if I recall correctly; neither worked the greatest. There must have been a bad common ground wire somewhere that needed to be cleaned up and got over looked.

I would set the trip odometer at zero on a full tank and top off at 200 miles. It was just a method that I used on my 86 F150 and 86 Bronco for many years. Even from the factory my 86 F150 fuel gauge was unreliable.

So, to answer your question, There must be a bad common ground wire somewhere.

Reply to
Mike

Hey, as I've stated before, I've seen it all. When customers have their vehicles towed in because they're out of gas, then ANYthing is possible.

steve

PS, what's PLONK?

"Burgy" spouted off in message news:Tahch.255$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

Reply to