94 Brakes

Some background. 94 Ford F-350 176k miles. When I bought it the brakes were mush. Brought it to a shop to get them done. Had new front pads & rotors installed along with bearing repack. After that, if I turned to the left, I got a squeak from the left front that increased with my speed. Soon it turned into when I turned left or right and then finally left, right, and straight ahead. It only seemed to happen after driving awhile and things heated up. It never squeaked or squealed when I applied the brakes. Brought it back in and the mech said u-joint. See ya. Pulled it apart and it seemed like caliper was stuck because I couldn't rotate the rotor on either side. Got 2 new calipers tonight. Bled the brakes and the back drivers side gave me fits. Not to sure if I got it right. Hopped in to pull it forward and pedal went to the floor. Pumped it a few times, it firmed up, pulled forward, put in Park and back to the floor it went. If I pump it, the pedal firms up.

What did I do wrong? I used one of those vacuum pumps to do the bleed. I read a Haynes (I know) that I got from the library and it said bleeding should be the same as a non-abs truck. I threw in the towel for the night now but sure could use some advice.

Reply to
Cudighi

There is air in the system.

Did you mount the calipers on the wrong side(s)?

Double check and make sure they are mounted so that the bleeder screw is at the top, switching them side for side will position the bleeder screw too low and you'll never get the air out.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Just checked and screws are on the tops. I was doing some searching on the net and one place said to have the vehicle running when bleeding if you have anti-lock brakes. Worth a shot?

Reply to
Cudighi

Sure it's worth a shot, but since you're vacuum bleeding, I don't see what difference it could make.

Are you certain that all the copper washers for sealing the hose connections were of the correct size, were positioned correctly and aren't leaking (assuming these calipers have banjo fittings)?

You might try engine running, pump the brakes up good and solid and then hold the pedal down hard for a few minutes, any leaks should show up as fluid squirting/puddles.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Figured out the pedal problem. I wasnt sure where to turn so I figured I'd bleed them the old fashioned way. Open bleeder valve, push pedal down, close valve, let pedal up. Jackpot. I'm not sure why the vacuum method didn't work. I did the bleed without the vehicle running. I read that one on a Ford message board. Took it out for a drive, mashed the brakes and it stops without the pedal to the boards. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Cudighi