94 RANGER STARTING PROBLEMS??

Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure out why my gilrfriends pickup will not start. It has power and the starter is turning over. It has roughly 138,000 miles on it. Probably has never had the fuel pumps replaced? But do any of you have any other trouble shooting advice, prior to replacing the fuel pump? Thank you in advanced.

Chris

Reply to
hooknline

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:34:23 -0500, hooknline rearranged some electrons to form:

Ignition? Fuel? The list of things to check is relatively short. Make sure you have a spark, then check the fuel pressure.

Reply to
David M

"hooknline" wrote in message news:4224998f$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com...

Did it quit while running or ? 4 cyl or 6?

Reply to
Scott

"David M" wrote: > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:34:23 -0500, hooknline rearranged some > electrons to > form: > > > Hey Guys, > > > > I am trying to figure out why my gilrfriends pickup will not > start. It > > has power and the starter is turning over. It has roughly > 138,000 > > miles on it. Probably has never had the fuel pumps replaced? > But do > > any of you have any other trouble shooting advice, prior to > replacing > > the fuel pump? Thank you in advanced. > > > > Chris > > Ignition? Fuel? The list of things to check is relatively > short. > Make sure you have a spark, then check the fuel pressure. > > > -- > David M (dmacchiarolo) >

> T/S 53 > sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 8 days 22:50

the truck is a 4 cylinder. from what i was told, it ran just fine the night before. then the next morning it would not start. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it rained like cats and dogs that evening. I checked the wires, but did not pull the plugs. Might be the next step. are there more than one fuel pumps? one in tank and one external? how often do they go out. thanks again!

Reply to
hooknline

For what it's worth, I have 150,000 on the stock pump. I put an new fuel filter in it a few weeks ago and the damn thing was really plugged. I got a code reader and book from someplace a few years ago for

30-40 $ and used it to pull codes in my 87 Bronco II and the 94 Ranger, the Ranger didn't have anything wrong. Listen with your head near the tank while somebody switches it from OFF to the run position and try to hear if the pump runs. If it has never had the timing belt replaced I recomend having that done after you get it running. Mine died a few weeks ago and took an expensive crank position sensor out with it.
Reply to
Scott

"user462" wrote: > "hooknline" AutoForumz.com> wrote > in message news:42260985$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com... > > "David M" wrote: >  > > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:34:23 -0500, hooknline > rearranged some >  > > electrons to >  > > form: >  > >

thanks for the info, might have time to take a look at it tonight.

Reply to
hooknline

"hooknline" wrote: > thanks for the info, might have time to take a look at it > tonight.

EASY FIX, the electrical clip on the fuel pump shut off switch was broken and the wire was unplugged. The switch is in a bad location in my opinion, it can be easily stepped on and broken/unplugged by any passenger stretching their legs out.

Reply to
hooknline