Slow starting 91YJ

After getting stranded with a dead starter, I've replaced my starter with a remanufactured starter. The new starter works fine but takes several seconds longer to turn the engine over.

Do starters come with different power(?) ratings, meaning a more powerful starter will turn the engine over faster? When I bought it, I gave the make, model, and year. I was not given any choices.

Could the time it is taking to start be a different issue? I've read other posts regarding loss of fuel pressure. Turning the key to the on position prior to starting doesn't make a difference.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

CTM

Reply to
testert555

What engine?

Mike

Mike Romain

My YJ has a 4.0.

Reply to
testert555

Did the starter look the same?

There are two starters around, one is the gear reduction one that 'sounds' way faster. The engine is turning the same, the starter just goes zing zing zing really fast compared to the standard starter.

Mike

Mike Romain

My 1995 YJ with the 2.5 liter engine, which I got new, has always taken a couple seconds to start when it is cold. It is just long enough, that people will notice it, but not long enough to be considered a problem. Next time, try timing how long it takes to "catch". A second can seem like forever.

It is conceivable that your new starter has a different number of internal windings than the starter that it is replacing, making it turn slower. You should also check battery cables and connections, battery condition and charge, etc.

Does it start readily when warmed up?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for the replies.

The starters looked almost identical, but does sound a little different when running.

I checked the difference between starting it after sitting overnight and restarting. There was no significant difference.

It sounds like I might be hyper sensitive. I'll monitor it for changes.

Thanks

CTM

Reply to
testert555