'96 F150 dual tank fuel pump

I have a '96 F150 L6 and have been told by a dealership that the "check engine" light is on due to a weak fuel pump in the forward tank. In the process of running the fuel level down in the forward tank, and then running exclusively on the rear tank, I have discovered that fuel is being returned to the forward tank. Is there an independant directional valve, or is there a back pressure valve built into the fuel pump?

Reply to
tinguy

Ford had a program for a cross flow problem on 88 to 96 . I had this problem on my 93 f-250 and f-150 . They sent out check valves to install on both tank outlets for fuel pump.

Reply to
dennis thompson

I got two check valves left in my shop . Ford part number is

1l34-9j274-aa . They come in a kit i don't have the part number for that. and the program is not available any more .
Reply to
dennis thompson

Just replace the front pump assembly. Between the weak pressure, and the bad check valve, it's time.

Reply to
Steve Barker