96 Ranger lower front shock mount broken

I tried to be careful by using PB Blaster penetrant and using only hand pressure on a half inch ratchet but still managed to break the threaded portion of the shock mount off the stud in the control arm.

Is there an after market replacement for this mount?

How is the mount supposed to be installed in the control arm -- threaded or pressed and what do I need to do to remove and replace it?

It appears the driver side has already been replaced with something but it is loose in the arm and I fear it is elongating the hole with each wheel movement.

Thanks for any help here.

Reply to
Messenger

That's a common problem on the Ranger, and on some of the early Explorers. You can get a replacement bolt kit from Advance Auto, or from Autozone, if you have those nearby. Normally, in the shop we ran across it anytime we sold and replaced a set of shocks. The old stud blown out with a torch, then the new bolt slid back in. Not a hard repair, especially if you have a torch. Good luck Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks for the reply.

I got a "you'll have to bring it in dude so I can match it up with something" from the guy at Advance and a "don't have it and I have a customer waiting" from the person at Autozone. Really disappointing when I get the wrong people on the other end of the phone. At least I know from your message that a kit exists. I think the driver side has already been replaced with one and it has gone loose in the hole. Because only the threaded portion was broken off on the passenger side, I drilled and tapped the stud and was able to bolt the shock in place.

I think I found the kit on partsamerica.com - RS5535 STRNG STAB BRKT KIT for $21.88 but the shipping weight seems high (over 4 lb) and the description and picture are lacking. I'll call again and see if the part number gets me any better help....

Thanks aga> That's a common problem on the Ranger, and on some of the early

Reply to
Messenger

A good, grade #8 bolt will work just fine.

The Kit you mentioned, sounds like a steering stabilizer kit, it's a shock that mounts to the front steering draglink. Some people call it a "shimmy shock" Not the same as a lower shock bolt kit.

I managed a Monro Muffler shop for years, we replaced a lot of those.

A good parts guy is hard to find, but if you ever do, stay with him, even if his parts cost a little more.

Just a tip.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I think I found the kit you're speaking of at AutoZone. It's on the HELP shelf with springs, clips, door hinge pins and the like. Cad plated and threaded on both ends of bushed stud -- $4.99 and it looks like it will work in a pinch. Thanks for the help here.

kind regards

Reply to
Messenger

Your welcome! Have a good day.