Upper Shock Mount Stipped

I stripped the upper shock mount on my 76 bus. (Pretty new to this stuff.) There is no bolt on the backside and very little space behind it, not enough to run a nut behind it. Does anyone have any ideas? A source for a metric tap that will work? Thanks for the help.

--AH

Reply to
zungguzeng

I stripped the upper shock mount on my 76 bus. (Pretty new to this stuff.) There is no nut on the backside and very little space behind it, not enough to run a nut behind it. Does anyone have any ideas? A source for a metric tap that will work? Thanks for the help.

--AH

Reply to
zungguzeng

Been there, done that. One word: Helicoil.

Reply to
Mark Walsh

Yup.

There's also a company in the UK that makes more or less identical thread inserts, called RECOIL.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

So with the recoil kit you drill out the messed up threads, tap it for the insert, then screw in the insert? How strong are these? I was thinking about cutting the head off the bolt sliding it into the mount and then welding it into place threads out and using a nut to secure the shock. Does this sound like a bad idea? Better to go with a threaded insert?

Reply to
zungguzeng

You also get a brand named TimeCert(sp?) which instead of a loose steel coil is a one-piece insert.

The different kits are not cheap...

The repaired piece becomes stronger than original.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Yes, just like Helicoil.

I have only ever used Helicoil brand name. (yes it's a brand name, not a thread repair insert type but everyone knows what you mean when you use the company name :) )

How ya gonna get the bolt out when it's time to replace the shock?

Planning on selling the car? ;)

No comment. Haven't used anything on shock mounts.

Jan

Reply to
Bugfuel

There would be no need to get the bolt out.

The bolt will be welded in with the threads out. Unscrew the nut and slide the shock off the bolt to replace.

Reply to
zungguzeng