98' B4000 4x2 5spd hard to shift 1st / reverse

Clutch was replaced last year as was master and slave on clutch. Now it is hard to shift (does not grind) into 1st and reverse. Clutch travel is good and has take up a few inches from the floor. Is there and adjustment / replacement parts under the shifter boot inside the cabin ? Or my syncros are going.....going....... ?

Reply to
ndccpf1

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:22:06 -0800, ndccpf1 rearranged some electrons to say:

Did this hard shifting coincide with the clutch replacement, or was it normal after the clutch replacement?

Reply to
david

Takeup a few inches from the floor? That doesn't sound right, that's too far in, and will lead to (guess?) difficulity in shifting into first/reverse! (because the clutch is still slightly engauged.

Reply to
PeterD

Clutch done last year. Hard shifting only started this week

Reply to
ndccpf1

Clutch was alway low. I can push the clutch pedal to the floor and raise up maybe three inches before the truck will move. During movement no grinding and truck shifts fine.

Reply to
ndccpf1

Clutch was alway low. I can push the clutch pedal to the floor and raise up maybe three inches before the truck will move. During movement no grinding and truck shifts fine.

Given that you have no grinding and the 5spd is a top loader (right?), synchros should not be the problem. Clutch engagement should also not be a problem. Sounds to me like engine, clutch, tranny alignment is not right causing some binding on the shaft that carries the 1/st gear and idler for the reverse...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Looks like I have the M5R1 version as seen here:

ndccpf1

Personally, I'll still think you have too much clutch drag caused by misadjustment. If it is possible, I'd suggest setting the engagement point a bit higher and seeing if that helps. I have seen this problem before, caused by clutch drag--almost impossible to put in gear when stopped. And, you're right: it won't grind.

Reply to
PeterD

Is there an actual adjustment method for setting the engagement point on this type ? I have bled the slave before (under truck wtih siphon pump....no so easy). that allowed for the air to be removed and the pedal to have more play before catching.

Reply to
ndccpf1