98' Mazda B4000 RWD 5spd HARD to shift into 1st from stop

No grinding just hard to get into gear with clutch all the way down. While at a stop, effort is less if you go from 2nd to 1st gear then let out the clutch. My syncros ? Trans oil and rear diff oil have recently been changed and there is no difference.

Reply to
ndccpf1

Probably a clutch problem. Does it grind if you try to shift into reverse?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I had the same problem. I figured my clutch was getting to the end of its life, at about 80K miles. However, since it didn't slip or chatter, I wasn't going to replace it. I got around it by shifting to 1st just before stopping. As long as I was moving a bit it shifted smoothly into

1st gear. It just didn't like shifting from neutral to 1st while stopped. It would do it, but I'd have to push hard on the stick, and it would take a couple of seconds.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

No grinding in reverse and it does exactly how you described below.

snipped-for-privacy@eg> > No grinding just hard to get into gear with clutch all the way down.

Reply to
ndccpf1

At 160K mine had the same symptoms. It was the slave cylinder inside the clutch housing. It was failing to allow the clutch to completely release. Since you have to take everything apart to get to it, replace the clutch at the same time. Since doing that, it drives and shifts like new and now had

225K miles.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I also had the same symptoms. New clutch and slave cylinder fixed it. Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett