626 5SPD MANUAL CLUTCH PROBLEM

My car is a 1999 Mazda 626 LX-V6 with the 5 SPD MANUAL transmission.

My car clutch exhibited obvious symptoms while driving today...

While in first gear, and with the clutch pedal fully down (this is a hydraulic clutch), I can lift off the brake on level ground and the car will gradually start to pull away from a standstill. Definite dragging going on... as opposed to slippage. Lifting only about 1/4" off the carpeted floor causes nearly FULL engagement of the clutch. Also, if I try to put it into reverse, the gears touch and grind rather than engaging silently. I can shut off the engine, put it into 1st gear, and start up again with the clutch down and get on my way but this needs fixing. It also seems to be intermittent. For days at a time, I can drive the car with no symptoms at all.

Sounds like clutch master cylinder leaking or bypassing pressure, slave cylinder leaking, clutch flex hose leaking, pedal bushings worn or missing?

Hopefully not INTERNAL problems. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Sissons

Look for clutch fluid on floor under transmission or carpet area under clutch pedal. Any leak means you need to replace both master and slave cylinders. Best left to a tech.

Reply to
Ramon Galvis