98' Mazda B4000 RWD 5spd HARD to shift into 1st from stop

No grinding just hard to get into gear with clutch all the way down. While at a stop, effort is less if you go from 2nd to 1st gear then let out the clutch. My syncros ? Trans oil and rear diff oil have recently been changed and there is no difference.

Reply to
ndccpf1

It's very common for F-150 and Ranger owners to learn to do what I call the

2-1 shuffle. From neutral, you find yourself always going to second before trying to get it into first. That seems to be an intrinsic thing that has to do with the design and the 1-2 synchro.

If you're having more trouble than you used to tho, I'd suspect a weakness of some sort in the hydraulic clutch system. It could just need bled, but it may need a slave cylinder. I read recently that premature wear sometimes seen on synchros and clutches on the M5OD transmission is usually due to a failure to diagnose a hydraulic clutch system problem soon enough.

You don't mention the year or mileage of your truck, but they have all used the M5OD in one iteration or another since 1988.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Nevermind, you did mention the year, etc., in the subject line. I missed it. The information I gave definitley applies to your truck

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks ,....140,000 miles If it were the clutch would I not see it catch soon at the floor ? Or grind somewhere in the shifting sequence ? I have done slave and master cylinder's on Hondas which were easy.

CJB wrote:

Reply to
ndccpf1

Not from what I've read. It will eventually get that way, but it can also go a long time like it is now. Understand tho, that it's not unusual for that transmission to be a little stiff into first. But with the miles and age, I'd highly suspect the hydraulic clutch linkage.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Rust on the tranny input shaft or dragging/dirty pilot bearing can cause input shaft to keep spinning and that makes it harder to get in 1st, have to make that stop spinning 1st before you can shift

Reply to
Ollie

If it is the slave or master cylinder you are not going to find it anywhere near as easy to replace as the Honda. Fords uses a coaxial slave together with a cheap shit plastic master cylinder and even crappier quick connect line. It all adds up to a system which is prone to air, a bitch to bleed, and even bigger bitch to replace.

Reply to
tomcas