Fuel pump on 92 ranger

The fuel pump on my 92 Ranger 3.0L does not stop running after a few seconds when the key is turned on. The engine will not fire. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail but have not been able to test the pressure yet. I'm going out today to buy a fuel pressure test guage. When I get it I'll follow the steps in my Haynes manual to test the pressure and the fuel pressure regulator. Question: What signals the pump to stop after the system has pressure but before the engine is started? Is it somthing within the pump itself or is there a sensor and a relay that shuts it off?

Reply to
ScottG