98 Ranger Heater Core

Hey everybody I have a 98 Ranger 2WD 3.0L with AC. I think the heater core is going out. Whats happening is a smell of coolant in the cab, depleting level of coolant and coolant coming out of a small spigot on the passenger side of the firewall. There is no wetness on the carpet. I read online in other places that the heater core is probably to blame and on Rangers its an easy repair. I looked around in the engine compartment and couldnt find the inlet and outlet hoses (to bypass/test) or the actual core for that matter. Does anyone have experience with this model Ranger? It does have AC, should I just let a shop handle it? The local dealership quoted $600+, havent tried any other garages yet, Im pretty mechanically inclined but nowhere near the professional level. Thank you very much in advance for any help or references. Frank

Reply to
Frank LaFleur