Alternator Belt Question 460 Ford

I have a couple questions. First let me explain I do not have a vast knowledge of motors but have trouble finding someone to work on my motorhome so I?m forced to learn and try to do things myself.

I have a motorhome that has a 1988 Ford big block 460, 7.5L carbureted engine. This weekend I heard a metal to metal grinding noise for just a moment then a fan belt starting squealing and then smoking (I was stopped) the engine was just idling, I shut it off, got out and saw a broken belt hanging down. It was the belt that powers the alternator and appeared to had got really hot and then broke.

There is a second belt on the alternator that powers two air pump looking things, above the alternator. It was not turning with the main belt broken. At first I assumed the alternator had locked up and burned the belt up but discovered the problem was actually one of the air pump looking things, it seems to be locked up and will not turn. I assume they have something to do with emission control? It is the second one from the top and difficult to see much of it as the other one is directly over it and the power steering pump and alternator blocks viewing it from below. I guess my question is two fold, first what is it, and second if I disconnect the belt that drives those two pumps will that cause any problems? I drove it home (an hours drive) with the alternator belt off of and everything seemed to work fine except of course the alternator was not putting voltage out. It does not have to pass emission control inspection in NC because of its age so that should not be a problem. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Ron M

I will have to go home and look to see which one it is, but it is either your air conditioning compressor or the smog pump. I would imagine it is the ac since it is on top, but as I said, I'll have to look at mine to be sure.

As for passing emissions in NC, you may be in a county that doesn't test now, but it will be very soon. If it is equipped with emissions equipment, it has to be working properly or it will fail.

John

Reply to
Spodely

I certain it is not the A/C Compressor, the pumps? are on the opposite side if the a/c compressor.

Reply to
Ron M