any1 that can help me with a mazda

my dad has a 4 cylinder mazda it will startup good but when u put it i gear and go it will cut of like it choke down but it will start up can some1 tell what might be wrong

Reply to
White Boy

That's easy. You answered your own question. It's a Mazda.

Reply to
Sam_I_Am

Idle Air Control, maybe? Or maybe its the ignition system?

My BII had a a couple of similar problems last year.

One problem was the IAC -- it would idle rough and sometimes stall if I didn't press the gas. Cleaning it solved this problem.

The other problem was the ignition system components wearing out. The engine would misfire resulting in a rough idle (around 500 rpms) and lack of power. Occasionally it would stall in neutral as well. A tune up solved that problem (new wires, plugs, cap & rotor).

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

if this is an automatic, pay close attention to the air inlet tube between MAF sensor and throttle body

a crack here will open up under load and cause this problem; the engine is sucking un-metered air

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yup.... seen that quite a few times. Bob

Reply to
Bob

its 83 and its a 5 speed when he got it ran good for 3 weeks but then it like lost power but it will start up and say running until u put it in gear ,then it shuts off,but it starts right up

Reply to
White Boy

And you haven't checked the inlet duct that Transurgeon told you about because.......

Reply to
Bob

Wouldn't an 83' Mazda be carbed anyhow? Hence no MAF?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

First, try some punctuation and spelling.

As for the truck. It dies when you put it in gear? It is a manual, correct? Do you mean it dies when you engage the clutch?

If it will idle, but not "run" and is carbureted, I would look at fuel filter and the acceleration pump on the carb. I would also consider a carb rebuild.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry