Better Gas Mileage (+running lights revisited)

So much talk about tiny percentages adding up to billions of gallons of gasoline nationwide (the posts about daylight running lights). So, I thought I'd repost this (first posted in Feb 2002 in another newsgroup).

I think I know how we can save 5% or more on motor fuels in this country for a very small cost.

As you know cars and trucks get 20-30% better gas mileage on the highway than in the city. The reason is simple, no stopping and starting. If we could reduce the stopping and starting in cities all vehicles could easily get

5-15% better gas mileage.

I grew up in Detroit where it's possible to cross the greater Detroit area (30 to 50 miles, north or south) and not get stopped at one red light! The traffic signals are all timed. All you have to do is drive the speed limit.

For the past five years my wife and I have traveled extensively in the US in our motor home. I can tell you Detroit is the very rare exception. Example: We had the misfortune of exiting I-5 in Portland Oregon to avoid an accident. We were stopped dozens of times, every quarter mile or so by traffic lights! It seemed not one light was timed.

I know it's not possible to time every light in the entire US. But it is possible to time most of them.

And it's possible to put up signs telling motorists what speed to drive to make the next light without stopping. I have seen these signs in a few scattered cities, mostly at dangerous intersections.

This should be a federally funded project. There is no real payback for the cities, thus no incentive. I would gladly pay another penny federal tax to get 5-15% better gas mileage.

There are other benefits too...

Fewer speeding accidents - you know how fast to drive to make the next light.

Fewer red lights run - same answer.

Less road rage - same answer.

Saves time - the average commute time would be reduced by 10% or more.

Less wear-and-tear on our vehicles - tires and brakes last much longer.

What do you think?

Dennis

That's was the post. I live in Mobile, AL. There are many side streets with traffic lights designed to let cars make a left turn into a main highway. One in particular drives me crazy. It's only a hundred yards from a major intersection and one car wanting to get onto the highway will stop one hundred cars. But then that light turns green and much of the time the next light now turns red, stopping the cars once more. Insanity.

Reply to
Dennis Vogel