brake problem?

1997 F150 2WD. I had my pads replaced about 2 1/2 months ago at a place that rhymes with "Minus";) Just this morning I notice a squeeking regardless of turning or going straight. Seems to be from the front. When I barely touch the brake pedal, I mean, no pressure at all, the squeeking stops. I took it to the place that replaced the pads, thinking that something just needed adjusted. They told me that there was a rock in between the pad and rotor and they got it out, no damage was done. Sooooo, I start driving home and the squeeking started again! I call the garage and talked to the mechanic and he now says "oh, it's probably a wheel bearing, bring it back and leave it all day and we'll look at it. We just blew some air in there and a bunch of dirt came out so we figured that was it." Do you believe that, they didn't go any further or test drive?! Anyway, what do you guys think it is? If it was a wheel bearing wouldn't it squeek all the time, whether the brake pedal is applied or not? What do you think I should do?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

I'm not saying the problem is the bearing, but the load on the wheel bearing changes quite a bit with any brake pressure. What you describe sounds more like the pads are glazed.

Reply to
Michael O

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:26:33 +0000, Michael O rearranged some electrons to form:

I think the biggest problem is taking it to an incompentent shop that rhymes with "Minus".

Reply to
David M

"David M" wrote in news:pan.2003.10.15.01.05.51.691590@sled351:

You're probably right there. :(

Reply to
Brian

Ya think?

Reply to
Michael O

Sounds to me as though the mech forgot to put in the pad/membrane. Included in the package w/ the brake pads are stick-on pads that go between the pad and the caliper to eliminate rattle and squeak. In the old days, the pads came w/ a tube o' goo that was spread on the pads to do the same thing. Lazy mechanics were always blowing off putting on the goo and brakes would start getting noisy as soon as a little dust got between the pad and the caliper.

I'd make the general manager of the shop do it himself, while I was watching.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

. .

brake problem? Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 11:03pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nawbabynaw.com (Brian)

[...]

Brian ========== ========== Brian, answers to yer questions......

yes.....I beleive it.

I beleive it is either inferior parts or inferior ability.

No....it would more likely be a "Growl" not a squeel.

I personally think......

1.... you should call the manager and ask him for the "bitch complaint" hotline number, his name, and the name of he apprentice that worked on the vehical......

2.... AFTER he gives you the info .......tell him you have the truck sitting at another shop and the caliper fell off lodging between the wheel and the spindle.....sending you into a 65 mph spin going down the interstate.

3.... then....go get a second opinion at a good shop. Brake inspections are usually a No-Charge event.

4.... the next day.....have a buddy call the Minus and tell them he's yer lawyer.....and he would like the number to Corporate....get him to give them a very profesional, but short, spill about how he's handleing your liabilty case against them...and how it's unfortunate that this happened because after that case last year..... he thought that Minus had improved.....

5.... then....about 2 days later........have another buddy call up the ole Minus........have him give them a speil about how he's with the State Attorney Generals office......and how he would like to hear their side of the story....

6..... then......about 3 days later........Get yer buddy to dress up in a suit.....have yer wife or girlfriend dress up in some really fine outfit...... get them to follow you to the Minus the Muffin shop..........have both cars pull up in front where everybody in the shop can see you......every body get out their vehicals and stand in the middle of the parking lot.............................. have yer gal-pal dig through some paper work in a briefcase and hand some of it to yer well dressed buddy.........tell him to look really stern and feirce......have him show you the paper work .....then hand it back to his associate..... then have yer gal-pal hand you a cell phone.... have yer buddy take his cell phone out and show it to you........then.....the two of them need to get back in the car and leave......

THEN........you walk casually into the Minus the Muffin shop and explain how you were informed by your counsel......and by the State Attorneys office.......that you should give the ole Minus the Muffler a second chance at rectifieing the situation.....and how it was explained to you that in situations like this, it was not uncommon to get a refund AND get the brakes repaired to safe condition.......and if that was the case.... you would forget about the whole thing, including the out-of-pocket expense for traumatic spinning episode going down the interstate, and the resulting repair expense.

any whoooo.........

that's what i thunk you should do........

but it's yer truck...you do what yuh want..... you could always be patient and understanding and let em take their time to get to you...or even go in and raise holly hell........but sheet man.... wouldn't it be oh so much fun to see the look on their faces if you did it my way........

Nubbs McFarkle ~:~

Reply to
Nubbs McFarkle

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Nubbs McFarkle) wrote in news:3875- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2317.public.lawson.webtv.net:

profesional,

lot..............................

LOL! Very good!!! Here's what I did, took it to a different shop today, they didn't bat an eye and said "the pad with the wear indicator was installed incorrectly" he showed me on a vehicle that was correct. They pulled my front tires off and low and behold they were on wrong! This new shop took a couple of minutes, fixed the pads, took it for a test drive and NO SQUEAK!! Here's the kicker, they didn't charge me! They just wanted me to be sure to bring it back to them if I needed anything else! Very unusual in this day for someone to do that!

Brian

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote : : LOL! Very good!!! Here's what I did, took it to a different shop today, : they didn't bat an eye and said "the pad with the wear indicator was : installed incorrectly" he showed me on a vehicle that was correct. They : pulled my front tires off and low and behold they were on wrong! This new : shop took a couple of minutes, fixed the pads, took it for a test drive : and NO SQUEAK!! Here's the kicker, they didn't charge me! They just : wanted me to be sure to bring it back to them if I needed anything else! : Very unusual in this day for someone to do that! : : Brian

Way excellent. Gotta add that to the goof-up/fix list. Dave

Reply to
David Ward

I agree with the gut feeling here Brian, but some of your suggestions do violate the law and could be turned back on you. And the low lifes at these places could care less anyway. Fight with a pig and you only get dirty and the pig enjoys it. And impersonating these other people takes skill and knowledge most people do not possess. Still, where is the revenge? I guess, do your own work.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

snipped-for-privacy@xoxy.net (MaxAluminum) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I wish I could take credit for a the good imagination, but they were not my suggestions. I think you read the thread wrong (I just laughed at them).

Brian

Reply to
Brian

My fault for being too lazy to check out the 77 extra lines on the first post.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

But as you found out it still exists. Seems it all depends on who wants to build their business and who wants to just skate by.

You might be lazy but that's a real gem. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj