Check Engine light: Advance Auto says replace the EGR... Suggestions? 2002 4.0L V6 Ranger

Hello,

RE: Check Engine light, Advance Auto says replace the EGR... Suggestions? 2002 4.0L V6 Ranger:

The yellow "Check Engine" light has stayed on for a couple tanks of gas, so I went to AdvanceAuto Parts Store for a quick analysis. They said the "EGR" module was returning an error. The tech then gave an opinion, and said most likely the valve was stuck.

He said it was a simple problem, the most severe cure required changeing the module, a small simple looking saucer on top of the engine. It's bolted on the bottom, with a tube coming out the top.

I don't want to open the part if this is over kill. I can still return it un-opened for another 2 weeks, 100% refund.

What else can I do to get the EGR working correctly, before replacing the entire part.

I have already run two bottles of Prestone engine cleaner through the fuel. No workee.

If I do need to replace the entire EGR module, is it as easy as it looks? It's just held onto the side/top of the engine with two bolts, and a rubber hose on top.

Thanks

Reply to
Bill Jenkins

You have to take it off to clean it out. Sometimes they are plugged with carbon. And yea , its as easy as that. Sometimes there's a washer inside. Dont lose it when you pull the egr off. Its sized for your engine if its in there. Put it back in. Or get a new one. Leaving it off is bad. Will make truck run with low power.

Reply to
None4U

Have it tested by someone who knows what they're doing?

You sure that two was enough?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:43:11 -0400, Bill Jenkins rearranged some electrons to say:

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation. So, putting anything in the fuel is pointless. The valve is clogged up with crud, you need to remove it and clean it out, or (better yet) replace it.

Not only are there two bolts holding it to the intake manifold, there is also a pipe going to the exhaust manifold. That one is likely to be rusty on a 7-year-old truck, so make sure you put some penetrating oil on the fitting before you try to get it off.

Reply to
david

Thanks to all who replied. Summarizing the responses:

It appears I should get a replacement gasket/whatever before I attempt to take off the old one. This is ovious, but often overlooked. :(

I should also spray the fittings and bolts with WD-40 a couple times and wait a few hours before trying to remove the device.

I should look around inside the device for any places that could benefit cleaning. Also, I'll try cleaning by soaking in solvent a few hours and if possible, with a small wire brush.

If these help, next step is to return the part!

TYVM for the help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jenkins

I'd use PB Blaster and not waste my time with WD-40. Don't know where everybody got the idea that it's a penetrant, but it's not.

Reply to
Old Crow

Or use Liquid Wrench.

Reply to
tomcas

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 04:32:20 -0500, Old Crow rearranged some electrons to say:

Second on PB Blaster. That stuff is great.

Reply to
david

Kroil, or Aerokroil... My favorite!

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks to all for the solvent recommendations, I'll try something else than WD-40.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jenkins

I like that too, and it smells better than PB.

Reply to
Old Crow