Cold Air Intake Assemblies

I have a '97 Ranger XLT with 4.0L 6cylinder engine. I am looking for ways to improve its gas mileage. I have read about after market cold air intake assemblies that are "bolt on" and claim to increase horsepower. Do these products actually improve performance, and will that improvement include an increase in gas mileage?

Jonathan

Reply to
NHYankBoy

While they may improve performance, it is very unlikely they will improve gas mileage. If they improve max performance, and you take advantage of the extra performance, you may actually decrease fuel economy. Given the CAFE rules, don't you think Ford / GM / Toyota would have include this sort of intake if it would increase fuel economy by a measurable amount? It is unreasonable to think they are spending billions on 6 speed transmissions, new engine designs, low rolling resistance tires, etc., etc. but they won't install a simple air intake system that would increase fuel economy.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

While I personally agree with what Ed says in his reply, you will probably get as many varying opinions about the benefits of/ harm caused by CAIs as you will asking the question of "Which is better for my vehicle- the recommended oil, or what I want to use?" I leave my vehicles relatively stock, and have always gotten at or above what the sticker says I should get MPG-wise. I don't drive like the old fart that I am, nor do I hot rod them. IMHAWO, it's up to you to decide if you think from the research that the initial cost of an add-on will pay for itself in savings over XX period of time.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom