FWIW Jeep Hi Pro Air Intake.

Just bought a hi performance air intake system for my '04 TJ six. I figured I'd mention it because it's not K&N or one of those other aftermarket add ons. Made for Jeep labeled MoPar. My dealer says it won't affect my warranty! I keep track of my gas mileage so I'll be able to spot any improvement (or decrease). The slight power increase claimed is pretty subjective and I have no way to really test that. Got a "deal" on the instalation. I had it done in conjunction with my 21K service. No charge for the 21K service. Every little bit helps. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Hmm, I put a Turbo City intake product, a cat-back exhaust system and some other goodies on my four cylinder Wrangler some years ago. I definitely noticed an increase in gas mileage, and now is a time to go for that, unless you are rich. :o(

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Did it seem to be a little "stronger" as well as increasing the mileage?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

conjunction

Too close to call. The cat-back helped me keep track of when my daughter came home at night. The mileage increase was real and measurable. Maybe I felt a little "seat of the pants" power increase, maybe not. With the four cylinder, every horsepower helps. I wish I could tell you I was doing wheelies...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

LMAO!

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

FWIW the stock air plumbing is a well known to be less than ideal for power, this is true of almost ALL fuel injected vehicles intakes. The reason being they are required to meet NOISE regulations and fuel injection is NOISY stuff. so they are plumbed with more bends then needed to bounce the sound waves off of accoustically absorbant rubber, they are longer than needed to get more of the above. They are made out of less than ideal rubber tubing; which doesn't ressonate but which is prone to being sucked together thus constricting the flow; Into an "air box" which holds a filter but also provides a muffler like noise canceler, and a muffler like space for back pressure, into (finally) another bit of tubing often called a "snorkle" which is usually even softer rubber.

This is why there's such a big industry around Cold Air induction, which throws that crap out in favor of less bends, metal pipes, and big air filters without a box or snorkle.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

You called that right. I was looking at the parts taken off and lo and behold snorkle, air box, etc. I don't detect any increased noise and a hill that was a downshift from 5th to 4th is now 5th only. Mileage will take a few more tanks to verify, but I know it didn't drop any. The installation even looks good. Aluminum tube with a big blue "MoPar" on it. Although "Jeep" would have been nice. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

"Simon Juncal" wrote in message news:RvmdnVtZwehrCeLZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net...

Funny, everything you mention isn't present on a TJ. The intake parts are hard plastic that doesn't deform under vacuum, with a bellows molded in the intake tube to keep engine vibs from transmitting to the body-mounted airbox. The TJ intake is just as long as it needs to be to reach the airbox, which is located in pretty much the only place it could be under the hood. The air box/intake trumpet is designed to acts as more a water-entry protection than a big muffler.

There's such a big industry because it looks cooler under the hood. If it really increased mileage/power, don't you think the OEM's would be all over it?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I've no idea what you're on about... Is it your point that they don't use softer material because you looked under the hood of your TJ and found plastic instead of rubber?

Maybe you're trying to prove my point for me? The intake hose on older

4.0's is made out of rubber, I know, I've got one sitting in my drive way. I'm sure they changed to harder plastic on your TJ because they wanted to optimize the HP and fuel economy every bit they could within the confines they have to work under (regulations and industry standards etc).

Hmmm I guess your point is that they don't work and are only for looks... and that OEM's always optimize for power and never compromise for noise I'm not going to try and part you from whatever notions who've got. There are a thousand dyno numbers, and auto industry noise regulations, floating about on the net if you wish to educate yourself. Your starting point should be inquiring as to why many manufacturers call the rubber tubing before an "air box" a "SILENCER" That should get you on the right track.

Great logic, so by your "reasoning" OEM's always produce and engineer all their components for optimal performance... So would you say a stock mustang GT comes with an optimal exhaust system, engineered with only performance and fuel economy in mind?

Let's put it this way, would you trade me your plastic intake for the soft floppy rubber one off my 92 XJ? If the softer one was adequate then why did they change it?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Results on first tank: 254.4mi 10.950gal Wheels and tires 235/70x16 on

16x7 steel wheels. This is on an otherwise stock '04 Wrangler X. Mostly (90%) on paved roads running the a/c about half the time. I can live with it :-)
Reply to
Frank_v7.0

How does it compare with your old mileage, and how long before the new intake pays for itself?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I had a 93 xj, as well, yes it was softer plastic. I understand your logic but you lack empirical evidence. Can you show that any deformity under vacuum has an appreciable negative effect to the airflow? I thought not.

I'm sure they changed to harder plastic on your TJ because they

Which means a replacement "cold air induction" system would be even more of a waste of $$ on a TJ.

I'll put it this way, perhaps they look good *and* improve performance somewhat, but they are better at looking good than making a significant performance increase.

Given the more stringent fuel economy standards than years past, many OEM's are doing whatever they can to gain even small increases in FE. For example, if the Tornado really does what it's supposed to do, it would be installed as OEM equipment. Likewise with the fuel line magnet. My point is, a lot of the aftermarket intake stuff, while some of it does improve performance incrementally, is designed primarily to lighten the consumer's wallet.

I had a K & N factory replacement filter on my TJ years ago, I tossed it when I noticed the thin film of dust on the inside of the intake tube. A couple more horsepower isn't worth sandblasting the cylinders, IMO.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

I can, but then again my ZJ sucks a lot harder than your XJ. :D

Actually, look up SCAT hose. I have to use that as a liner in the stock air intake to keep the accordian rubber from collapsing.

Reply to
DougW

Applesoranges. When OEM's install Hesco's at the factory, you'll see metal intake tubes.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I was getting a hair over 20mpg and on a good day 21mpg. Easy driving on mostly paved roads. With gas at $3 a gallon I will have probably brake even in another 20k mi or so. And I plan to keep my '04 at much longer than that.There is a slight but noticeable increase in power especially in 5th gear. The only down side to the installation is that you have to guide the dipstick back to its tube. Also I'm pretty sure that at highway speeds (70mph) nothing will help a TJ get "good" mileage. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

And you've offered any? You're the one making unsupported claims, I've not bothered making any performance claims because anyone with a search engine and half a brain can find dyno numbers, reviews, comparisons etc.

Assuming it's totally stock AND Assuming the stock plumbing is as efficient as it can be from the OEM... There's plenty of empirical data out there on the stock 4.0. Do your own research if you wish to. TJ's have lots of aftermarket... Cam's, computer chips, throttle body upgrades, larger injectors, and even turbo and SC kits. Any of these will be complimented by intake plumbing that is as efficient as possible.

Okay now we're getting somewhere.

Not going to google up numbers but the CAI is usually considered a pretty basic easy to do mod that has a good dollar to HP ratio. A cheap CAI that gains 10 HP and costs $100 bucks, costs you $10 per HP... a

505 performance turbo kit for a 4.0 costs $3450.00 and gains 65hp, for a cost of $53 dollars per pony, BEFORE it's installed.
Reply to
Simon Juncal