Diesel ?

Greetings,

I'm thinking of buying a '92 F250 with a stock 7.3L diesel engine (non-turbo) with ~196K miles on the engine and have a couple of ?:

1) I noticed a coouple of times during my test drive that when stopped (stoplight, traffic, etc.) there was some white-colored smoke coming out of the exhaust.The smoke was intermittent and did not occur at any time other than at idle. Is this normal?

2) Given the mileage, is putting an aftermarket turbo on this motor (e.g. Banks or ATS) an option? I don't know that I really need a turbo (I plan to use the truck mostly for local hauling and towing my 23'

5th wheel trailer on short-to-medium length camping trips in the Cascade Mountains and over to the Oregon Coast) but I might do it if it seemed worthwhile. Is this something that someone with intermediate-level mechanic skills can do?

3) I've always heard that diesel engines are very reliable and long-lived. How many miles should I expect this engine, given that it's been reasonably well-maintained, to last? What are some "warning signs" that I should look for when a diesel engine starts having major internal problems?

The performance of the truck, except for the lack of a turbo, was otherwise OK and it seems a good bargain for the price the guy's asking. It has been reasonably well-maintained, including the recent installation of a rebuilt automatic transmission.

TIA for your responses :-).

Brad

Reply to
bradsbulkmail

Unless you can buy this thing really cheap I would stay away and go after something with a lot less miles. Yes diesels are suppose to last a long time but....I have a Ford F-250 with a 460 gas that has 175,000 that I have no doubt will got to 250,000 so now does a diesel really last longer ??? I had a friend with a Ford diesel that he blew at about

200,000 and spent another $8,000 to put in a new engine. Nothing last for ever so like the stock market buy low and sell high.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
user

"" wrote: > Greetings, > > I'm thinking of buying a '92 F250 with a stock 7.3L diesel > engine > (non-turbo) with ~196K miles on the engine and have a couple > of ?: > > 1) I noticed a coouple of times during my test drive that > when > stopped (stoplight, traffic, etc.) there was some > white-colored smoke > coming out of the exhaust.The smoke was intermittent and did > not occur > at any time other than at idle. Is this normal? > > 2) Given the mileage, is putting an aftermarket turbo on this > motor > (e.g. Banks or ATS) an option? I don't know that I really need > a turbo > (I plan to use the truck mostly for local hauling and towing > my 23' > 5th wheel trailer on short-to-medium length camping trips in > the > Cascade Mountains and over to the Oregon Coast) but I might do > it if > it seemed worthwhile. Is this something that someone with > intermediate-level mechanic skills can do? > > 3) I've always heard that diesel engines are very reliable and > long-lived. How many miles should I expect this engine, given > that > it's been reasonably well-maintained, to last? What are some > "warning > signs" that I should look for when a diesel engine starts > having major > internal problems? > > The performance of the truck, except for the lack of a turbo, > was > otherwise OK and it seems a good bargain for the price the > guy's > asking. It has been reasonably well-maintained, including the > recent > installation of a rebuilt automatic transmission. > > TIA for your responses :-). > > Brad

200K is a lot of miles and the engine condition now is vert dependant of what quality of maintainance it has recived and service it has seen. My gut feeling is to no buy it unless you get it dirt cheap because if it needs repairs it will be VERY costly and a after market turbo will hassen its demise given its age and mileage. If you realy have yor heart set on a diesel I would suggest you keep looking and spend more money for a lower milage unit and less likely long term problems. I would fell better about it is if had maybe 100 to 150 K but 200K is getting up there and diesel repairs are expensive. Finaily I do not think you will be pleased with the tow perfomance of that non turbo engine. A lot of mid sized gas motors will "wax" it in towing performace and again boosting it at this stage could shorten its life more. Look for a different truck and one with a turbo diesel to begin with if you want better towing performance.
Reply to
SnoMan