mobil 1 filter

With my 02 Ranger 4l. I change the oil myself, buying the 5 qt. jug of mobil1 5/30 from wal-mart for around $20 and a motocraft filter from autozone for $3.50. Anyone use a mobil1 filter - around $10 - and any opinions? thanks, Mark S

Reply to
Mark Schofield

See the oil filter tests here->

I. Care

My Wal-Mart carries Motorcraft filters. Might save you a trip.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Most major brand filter today are pretty good and if you go to Advance Auto their brand is made by Fram so you are actually getting a Fram Wear guard filter (which are preety good) when you buy one of theirs.

Reply to
SnoMan

Are you crazy??? Fram filters are rated the worst by just about everybody.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

I used a Mobil 1 filter in my 02 Superduty Triton V10 but I noticed I got a lot of valvetrain noise when starting cold. Maybe a different drainback valve design that didn't seal well. Switched to Motorcraft filter and no problems. Always ran 5w30 Mobil 1.

I notice that Mobil 1 is now available in 5w20, which is what Ford recommends, I wonder if after using 5w30 for 60K miles, would it be OK to switch? I am thinking probably not...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:36:01 -0400, SnoMan rearranged some electrons to form:

Oh please, you don't believe their ads, do you? Fram is about the worst you can buy. Just do a search with Google...

Reply to
David M

Yea, some people cut them open and make judgements based on their observations of construction and materials. They don't flow test or measure their filtering efficiency. Don't get me wrong, Fram is as cheaply made as they can make them, but they still perform well enough to meet manufacturer's specs.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo