Different truck shudder

Greetings and Salutations

I've a 1990 Ford Ranger, five speed manual tranny, and the smaller 4 cylinder EFI engine.

My problem with truck shudder is at highway speed (60-65) in fifth gear, when I hit an rise in the road ...bridge, off ramp, hill, it will slow down (naturally) and then start to buck - I'd say it was trying to backfire, but .. EFI :-) Rather disconcerting. I just had the engine tuned - new plugs and plug wires. He said the injectors passed the flow test properly, so .. I'm at a loss as to what's happening? Any pointers, or should I just plan on downshifting for inclines?

Oh yes, it was worse the first part of the week, but then yesterday I disconnected the battery for an hour at lunch in order to reset the clock in the radio, and it has gotten some better. Magic, or ..?

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Why do you disconnect the battery to reset the radio's clock? You can set the clock without disconnecting the battery... although I suppose if it always restarts the clock at 12:00, reconnecting the battery at noon will certainly work, if you can't figure out how to set the clock the correct way. The engine will definitely run differently after the battery is disconnected, because the computer 'forgets' all the trim values it has 'learned'. That is normal.

The symptoms you describe are *exactly* what my Aerostar (4.0l V6) did on inclines before I replaced the fuel injectors. Did the mechanic actually remove the injectors, inspect the spray pattern and measure their flow rate? After I replaced my Aerostar's injectors it ran like a brand new engine (relatively, it's got 117k on it).

Did your problems going up hills coincide with the tuneup or did it have that problem for some time previously?

This is the cheapest place I could find for injectors, the web page says they are $117.60 for a set of four.

I'd recommend calling rather than ordering via the web, the owner was very helpful on the phone.

Reply to
Mark Olson

That's it exactly. ONly the clock resets to 1.00

SOme what I figured would happen.

That was his report. Should have asked to see any printouts .. hey, live and learn. OTOH, part of teaching trades is teaching "and this is why you do it right the first time, cause you don't have time to do it over."

I know that I'd have to downshift as the speed dropped to 55, I don't recall the shuddering.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:39:00 GMT did not prevent pyotr filipivich from posting to alt.trucks.ford the following:

Took it back to the shop, told him what I had figured out, and left it with him while I went to classes. Came back in the afternoon. All fixed.

Turns out there is a exhaust coil (?IRRC) that has a couple connectors which can look like they are connected when they are not. Pushed those in the last couple micro-fortnights and voila! she runs, like a deer. Up hill, down, all around the top. I was so happy, I bought em all donuts from the school bakery.

tschus pyotr

happy, happy - my truck runs!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich