97 Ranger gas pedal sticks

I was driving home today and when I floored the gas pedal it stuck and wouldn't release, I had to put it in neutral and pump the pedal. Does it just need grease? I have the 4.0 and it was up to 60mph. Scary!

Reply to
rppb

I would suggest putting the truck in park, starting the engine, then playing with the throttle while looking under the hood. One time the pedal on my (much older) BII would stick sometimes. After liberal application of penetrating oil around the springs on the throttle body it has been fine for many months. Basically the pivot became too sticky and the spring wasn't strong enough to fully close the throttle plate unless I tapped the pedal hard and let go immediately (to give it momentum). Once I lubricated the pivot, though, it has been fine since.

(I presume that your pedal didn't just get stuck on the floor mat. That happened to me once or twice in my old Escort.)

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Reply to