engine run on. 2.3 litre 4 cyl carb.

What is it that makes an engine run on after it's been shut down? What can I do to stop this from happening?

Thank you for your help.

paulxinfinity

An engine only needs fuel, air, compression, and an ignition source to run. After you shut down your ignition, the heat causes the engine to run like a diesel, using only the compression and the heat to fire.

It's bad for the engine. In the old carb engines, there was a dashpot that shuts off fuel when you shut it down. I don't know what the equivalent is for fuel injected engines.

First thing, though, is to do a complete tune-up, including air filter. check the timing.if it's too advanced, this will cause the problem. Your plugs could be too hot for your conditions. Try and run the next cooler number. make sure your cooling system is in good shape. Also the exhaust..........HTH.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

If I remember my Automotive Prof. also said running too lean causes the engine cylinder temp to be too high and can cause the problem.

Reply to
I. Care

The first thing to check is the idle RPM.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yep, and good catch. Also, and I HIGHLY recommend this, is to try some high octane gas.............

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^