Finding the model number on a carcuretor

Hi there:

First time here

My son purchased a Holley four barrel from a friend for $30.00. Not a bad deal as it looks in pretty good shape. However, he is wanting to put it on his 1978 F150, 400cid, auto, 4x4 that has (I presume) a factory 2-barrel. That means a manifold swap....or does it? In the meantime, where can I find the model number on the carb so as to know what size it is (may need to get a rebuild kit to replace dried out parts)?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

WhiteBird

Reply to
Whitebird

It's usually stamped on the fuel bowl. Have you cleaned it yet? If you cleaned it and you don't see it you're going to need more help than I can give you. ;)

I bought a complete Holly two barrel from the scrap yard that's in good shape for $5 and the number is easy to read and looked it up in a book from the library, turns out it's a racing two barrel for a particular class that requires two barrel carbs. Weird. :)

It's made to fit my '75 360 etc. Haven't got around to trying it out yet. :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:59:12 +0000, alvin rearranged some electrons to form:

Go to your local library or bookstore and look at "Haynes Holley Caruretor Manual" ISBN 0-38345-02069-0 It's got a lot of pretty good info.

Reply to
David M

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:05:26 +0000, David M rearranged some electrons to form:

That's "carburetor". can't type this early.

Reply to
David M

If it's a two barrel manifold now, then yes, he'll need to change the intake manifold, but presume nothing...

You don't need the model number, you need the part number which in the case of a Holley four barrel is called the "List" number. Look on the air horn (choke butterfly housing) the number should be stamped there and read "List XXXX" or List XXXX-X.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Yep the numbers are on the air horn. :/ Got up in the middle of the night and posted that and realized I messed up as I was getting back in bed. :)

And the other poster with the Holly book information... yep read that one... but really want a book that's written by the engineers of the Motorcraft carbs. That would be sooo cool to get a first hand description of a carb's engineering, whatever brand it is.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Thanks to all of you who replied. Turns out it's a 650cfm model 4150 Now to find and inexpensive (yeah, right!) intake manifold

Whitebird

Reply to
Whitebird