What do I need to change my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel

I have a 1970 fury lll convertible, it has a 318 2 barrel. I have a holly aluminum intake with a edelbroke 4 barrel carburetor that I plan
on putting on this summer. Can anyone tell me what is in a kit to convert from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel? I what to make sure that I have everything I need before I take it apart.
malbern wrote:

You pretty much have it. A manifold(or adapter plate) to fit your carb and a 4bbl carb. A gasket set of course.
Make sure that your linkage will match up appropriately.
Nothing to it.
JW
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Some gaskets need RTV in the corners, not sure about those but it is handy to have.
I think you will need headers and maybe dual exhaust as well. The last 4 bbl swap I helped a friend do turned it into a pig because of stock exhaust manifolds and single pipe. It only sounded cool. We changed it back.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
I already have duel exhaust, I was told that headers for my C-body are hard to fine. I have been looking but can't seem to get any for my 1970 C-body.
malbern wrote:

Look again:
http://www.ttiexhaust.com /
But you don't NEED headers. A 4-bbl and dual exhaust (don't forget the crossover!) are a nice mild wake-up for a 318. To take full advantage of headers, you'd really need a bigger than stock cam and exhaust port work. Headers won't HURT, but put your money elsewhere first.

Steve, Wasn't there a 340 cid engine available about that time which was essentially the 318 punched out? Seems that I helped a friend swap a 340 in place of his 318 in a Duster, but may be confused. I know for sure he installed a 4 barrel on it.
With all the modifications he eventually performed, this project evolved to a monster. He could lift the front wheels off the ground - seriously- in low gear.

low
Im going to answer my own post. Researched it and found the 340 Dodge was available around the OPs model date. It was rated at 275 BHP and with a little tweaking could put out a lot more than that. I believe that manifolds, and many other parts interchange with the 318.

And 290 BHP.

Original intake and exhaust manifolds are rarer than hens teeth, (read, pricey). Yes, parts will interchange, the intake manifold will fit but there will be a severe port mis-match, exhaust manifolds off of a 71-72 C-body 360 will fit the 318 and flow a lot better than the 318 manifolds. 360 "J" heads flow as well as the 340 heads and are still found in salvage yards, one needs to be careful with them on a 318 WRT valve size, too big of valve and you have shrouding problems with the cylinder wall.
And no, the 340 wasn't a punched out 318 any more than a Chebby 350 is/was a punched out 265.

Would look like basically a bore job. Stroke was 3.31, bore was 3.91 on the 318 and 4.04 on the 340.
318 (5.2) 1967-2002 3.31 3.91 340 1968-73 3.31 4.04
What are the other differences, Aarcuda?

.130 inches different. Boring out would require a .065 inch cut, that equals roughly 1/3 the thickness of the cylinder wall. It'll run, but it'll probably sag in short order.

The blocks were different although the early 360s shared the same block casting number as the 340. Cylinder centers are the same, deck heights are the same, rods are different weight and casting number from what I've observed, cylinder heads are different in both valve size and combustion chamber volume, camshafts were different, timing chain and sprockets were different, main and rod bearings were different, different water pump, larger diameter by-pass hose, different ring groove depth in the pistons, different valve springs, different oil filter mount...

Considerable differences, for something that 'looks like a duck'. Thanks

Yep, yep, yep.... timing chain and sprockets were different, main and

Now all THAT stuff is year-dependent as well. By the time the 340 was being replaced by the 360, for example, all 3 engines were using the same timing case/water pump castings and the bypass hoses were the same, but in earlier years they differed. Sorta the same for rods- the 318 started out using the lighter 273 rods and floating pins, but in late 73/early 74 or about, it went to the 360 rod with a pressed pin. It gets real interesting when a single engine architecture stays in production for >40 years. :-)
aarcuda69062 wrote:

In other words, it is a punched out 318 (273, actually) in CONCEPT, but not in practice. Same block archetecture- deck height, crank geometry, bore spacing, bolt patterns, etc. But in practice the cylinder castincg cores were changed so the block casting is internally different. If you could REALLY "punch out" (ie bore) a 318 to 340 size, the 318 would have inch-thick (a slight exaggeration) cylinder walls. The 360 goes a little further in that the main bearing webs are different to accept larger diameter main bearings.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

A 340 is indeed the basic 273/318 block with bore size increased, a forged crank, always with a 4-bbl, and DIFFERENT HEADS :-) The problem with doing a factory parts mix-and-match on a 318 is that putting either 340 or 360 heads on it (to get the bigger ports that flow better) also comes at the expense of getting a larger combustion chamber that would lower the compression ratio to about 7:1 without other added changes :-/ Best "bolt-on and go" heads for a 318 are the 80s "swirl-port" XXX302 casting with minor work to clean up the ports. Now if you start to change the bottom end and can pick pistons with a higher than factory deck height, then sure, use 360 heads and have the best of both worlds!

The 340 gets my vote as the best high-performance smallblock v8 ever. Screw the chevy 350, its good but it doesn't come CLOSE to a 340. A 340 will humiliate most big-blocks, and still leave the front end light enough to set up for handling as well. Sadly, they only built about 1 340 for maybe every 50 small Chevies ever made. And probably 1 340 for every 20 318s, for that matter.
Thanks JW I have the gaskets,I was wondering if I would have to change the linkage or springs.The 318 never did come with a 4bbl carb,so the linkage has me a little worried.

Probably not.... I did an exchange on a 63 galaxy... from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel. I used an Edelbrock high rise manifold with a Holley 4 barrel (650 cfm) and (I believe) an adapter for the carb. It may have already come with the kit though... that was many years ago... let me tell you...... it made an extreme amount of difference in the cars performance. I was literally shocked at how much power I got just from that small change. You may want to talk to the place you got the parts from to see if you are missing something
Good Luck...
Fwed
malbern wrote:

Sure it did. 80s M-body copcars. Or use parts of a 360 4-bbl pickup truck. The 318 and 360 are dimensionally identical, and anything that bolts onto a 360 (above the oil pan, anyway) will bolt on a 318.
Yeah, with the appropriate 4-bbl intake manifold, and the right gaskets, all that's left is the linkage hookup, and that isn't much more than a bit of fussing. Be alert to the possible need for a new air cleaner assembly to fit the 4-bbl throat.
--
Knifeblade_03
Thanks I have a new chrome air cleaner kit that I will be installing along with new chrome valve covers.