What do I need to change my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel

I have a 1970 fury lll convertible, it has a 318 2 barrel. I have a
holly aluminum intake with a edelbroke 4 barrel carburetor that I plan
on putting on this summer.
Can anyone tell me what is in a kit to convert from a 2 barrel to a 4
barrel? I what to make sure that I have everything I need before I take
it apart.
Reply to
malbern
You pretty much have it. A manifold(or adapter plate) to fit your carb and a 4bbl carb. A gasket set of course.
Make sure that your linkage will match up appropriately.
Nothing to it.
JW
Reply to
cyberzl1
Some gaskets need RTV in the corners, not sure about those but it is handy to have.
I think you will need headers and maybe dual exhaust as well. The last 4 bbl swap I helped a friend do turned it into a pig because of stock exhaust manifolds and single pipe. It only sounded cool. We changed it back.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Reply to
Mike Romain
Yeah, with the appropriate 4-bbl intake manifold, and the right gaskets, all that's left is the linkage hookup, and that isn't much more than a bit of fussing. Be alert to the possible need for a new air cleaner assembly to fit the 4-bbl throat.
Reply to
Knifeblade_03
Thanks JW I have the gaskets,I was wondering if I would have to change the linkage or springs.The 318 never did come with a 4bbl carb,so the linkage has me a little worried.
Reply to
malbern
I already have duel exhaust, I was told that headers for my C-body are hard to fine. I have been looking but can't seem to get any for my 1970 C-body.
Reply to
malbern
Probably not.... I did an exchange on a 63 galaxy... from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel. I used an Edelbrock high rise manifold with a Holley 4 barrel (650 cfm) and (I believe) an adapter for the carb. It may have already come with the kit though... that was many years ago... let me tell you...... it made an extreme amount of difference in the cars performance. I was literally shocked at how much power I got just from that small change. You may want to talk to the place you got the parts from to see if you are missing something
Good Luck...
Fwed
Reply to
fweddybear
You don't say if you're running an A/T or M/T.
An A/T will require additional linkage for the "Kickdown" and adjustment of this linkage.
Dave
Reply to
DaveB
Hi Dave it is Auto/T when I got the carb I told them it was for a 318 mopar.I guess I will fine out when I take it apart and reinstall.
Reply to
malbern
It's not so much the carb as it is the linkage. Check out how the linkage is setup on the 2bbl and see if you can adapt to the 4bbl.
Reply to
DaveB
-You'll need the manifold- you've got that. -You'll need an air cleaner. One that fits under the hood and clears all the linkages. Aftermarket open element units are available, but they're noisy. I prefer to junkyard dive for OEM type air cleaners. -You'll need a transmission kickdown linkage (I'd get the complete assembly, including throttle cable and the bracket that mounts to the manifold. A good donor is a 4-bbl Diplomat or Gran Fury copcar. Failing that, you can get a Lockar kickdown cable kit. - You'll need fuel line. Use either a hard line or FUEL INJECTION hose. Do not make a long run out of regular "fuel line" hose sold at part stores- if you're going to run that much rubber line use fuel injection rated hose.
Reply to
Steve
Sure it did. 80s M-body copcars. Or use parts of a 360 4-bbl pickup truck. The 318 and 360 are dimensionally identical, and anything that bolts onto a 360 (above the oil pan, anyway) will bolt on a 318.
Reply to
Steve
Look again:
But you don't NEED headers. A 4-bbl and dual exhaust (don't forget the crossover!) are a nice mild wake-up for a 318. To take full advantage of headers, you'd really need a bigger than stock cam and exhaust port work. Headers won't HURT, but put your money elsewhere first.
Reply to
Steve
All of the above PLUS:
VERY,VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!
DO NOT DISREGARD!!!!!!
After the install,if you cannot adjust the kickdown linkage properly yourself, tow, do not drive, your car to a transmission shop and have them do it. It MUST be adjusted properly.
See also:
for carb tuning information.
You may need a PCV valve for a 4BBL 318, from an early 80's 318 4BBL cop car.(maybe a different hose also)
How about the choke? Is it electric? If so, don't tap into the ignition coil to drive it. (A common mistake.)
Speaking of which, convert to an electronic ignition if you can afford it.
Here's some wiring info:
(I2 is start, I1 is run) Junkyard parts will be cheaper.
(control box, wiring harness, coil and distributor )
use a new ballast resistor
Does the old carb have an idle solenoid for A/C? You may need to do a little rigging for that.
Make sure all the old vacuum lines are connected to the proper vacuum types, i.e. ported or direct.
A can of carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks.
New thermostat, housing, gasket and coolant?
If possible, use washers under the manifold to head bolts if the bolts don't have a flange. Aluminum tears easily.
HTH
Reply to
Steve Walker
For the last, I've found that having an assortment of AN washers around is handy, sometimes manifolds have machined "pockets" for the bolts in which SAE washers won't fit. I like stainless, but always use anti-seize with stainless hardware.
nate
Reply to
Nate Nagel
"Steve" wrote in message
Steve, Wasn't there a 340 cid engine available about that time which was essentially the 318 punched out? Seems that I helped a friend swap a 340 in place of his 318 in a Duster, but may be confused. I know for sure he installed a 4 barrel on it.
With all the modifications he eventually performed, this project evolved to a monster. He could lift the front wheels off the ground - seriously- in low gear.
Reply to
<HLS
Im going to answer my own post. Researched it and found the 340 Dodge was available around the OPs model date. It was rated at 275 BHP and with a little tweaking could put out a lot more than that. I believe that manifolds, and many other parts interchange with the 318.
Reply to
<HLS
In article , wrote:
And 290 BHP.
Original intake and exhaust manifolds are rarer than hens teeth, (read, pricey). Yes, parts will interchange, the intake manifold will fit but there will be a severe port mis-match, exhaust manifolds off of a 71-72 C-body 360 will fit the 318 and flow a lot better than the 318 manifolds. 360 "J" heads flow as well as the 340 heads and are still found in salvage yards, one needs to be careful with them on a 318 WRT valve size, too big of valve and you have shrouding problems with the cylinder wall.
And no, the 340 wasn't a punched out 318 any more than a Chebby 350 is/was a punched out 265.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Site Timeline Threads