Ford has a better idea

Hi to all,

I have a 2004 F-250 Super Duty with an unusual? problem and hope someone can help. The black bezel? part of the dash was a dull finish but is starting to peel to reveal a very glossy finish underneath. Is there an easy way to remove this part so that I can remove/re-coat it to achieve a matte finish? I guess the bean counters decided to mold this piece in glossy plastic and use a dull coating rather than just cast it with a matte finish, probably to save a few pennies per unit. In any event, it looks crappy now that big patches of the wonder coat are peeling off. Anyone else have this problem? BTW it is out of warranty....of course! Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Bill Kehm

Reply to
Bill Kehm

First of all, get your motto straight!

"Ford has a better idea"

has been retired.

Now, it's "Quality is job one"!

....but I can't help you on the finish coming off.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Painting plastic parts is common industry practice. It is almost impossible to match the color and texture of molded plastic parts - particularly adjacent parts from different molds. It is very easy to color coat them and get perfect matches. Do you think "bean counters" would pay for painting if they could get good matches right out of the mold? Where I work we often have to paint parts to insure color match and hide molding flaws. I am sure that most high quality vehicles have painted plastic parts. Those that don't are probably like my Frontier - no two adjacent parts have the same color and texture. 10 shades of gray in one interior.

I am not sure how to remove the part, but I assume it can be done. You just need to find a shop manual.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White