Ford Ranger making strange noise when shifting

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 2 WD manual transmission that when I shift it makes this metal on metal sound. It doesn't happen everytime nor when I'm parked and I run it through the gears. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks in Advance, Luke

Reply to
Luke

Sounds like the throw out bearing, I got a bid of 200 to fix it.

Reply to
Luke

Ford transmission.

Have a 2001 F-150 and have had the same problem. Most of the time it's when I go from 2nd to 3rd.

Reply to
Stephen Downing

Check the fluid in the trans. I've been told by several people in my area that own Rangers with the 5 Speed to do that at every oil change.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

I'll try that, it would be a lot cheaper then buying a throwout bearing.

Reply to
Luke