Found 2 freeze plugs....

So I went on a winter vacation, and forgot to winterize my 1993 f350 (351) when I came home the truck started and ran just fine. I took it to the dump and back, I happened to run out of gas at the station and it was hell to start. It happened a second time before I checked the coolant level. The dump and station are only about a mile and a half apart. So I have not drove it very far. I tried to put water in and it poured out the back somewhere.

First I was told my block was ruined. There is no water in the oil, The water comes out a hole about 2in diam. Which I'm sure is what is called a freeze plug must of been. I found two plugs on the ground where I had beem parked when the block froze.

any helpful advice?

I hear you can buy expandable freeze plugs for a couple of bucks. I can only see the one hole, and have been told there is a plug for each cylinder. I'm sure when I plug te one hole I will find the next one.

-- We are Many Mark 5:9

Reply to
logan & thorne

Yes you can buy the expandable type freeze plugs to replace the ones that popped out however you may want to tow the truck to the shop so they can replace all of them as the others may have been partially pushed out. You may be ok as long as the engine didn't overheat and/or crack. The freeze plugs did their job by popping out. It seems the block may have been filled with ice when you drove to the dump keeping it cool until it melted. What ratio of antifreeze were you using if any? There should be six freeze plugs in a 351 block, three per side and each head has two. You may also need a new water pump.

Reply to
Mark

Well, How is it going?

Reply to