How do you safely remove a good windshield from a '89 Ranger ?

Serendipity; I bought an '89 Ranger off a hulkhauler for the bed for $50 ( I've got a trailer made from a '84 ranger and the bed was rusting out; cheap quick fix. )

Next item was the AC compressor; same as the one on Mom's Tempo -- even better .

Now it's the winshield on my brother's '83 Ranger; fresh major cracks. Same glass; but the 89 is a "gluein" rather than the old "gasket with filler strip" .

How do you pull out the windshield without breaking it??

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon

You should probably find a glass company to come out and do it. But with that said if your very very careful you can use piano wire and slowly move it in a sawing type motion around the windshield. Then use a dual suction type device to life the window out. Glue or Gasket there is still a chance it may break. I think everyone here in the group will agree glass work is best left to someone who does it all the time.

Probably not the answer you want to hear.

Reply to
Tim G

Since you won't be using the molding the glass is mounted in, cut it away with a utility knife. The glue line can be cut with a hacksaw blade sharpened to a cutting edge. Wrap masking tape around the blade to act as a handle and cut through the glue line. The warmer the glue line is, the easier it is to cut through. Let the truck sit facing the sun for a while.

Good luck and don't become impatient.

$50 ( I've

rusting out;

Tempo --

major

the old

Reply to
Frank K.

I used to do glass work 20 years ago. Still have the scars. Very touchy to get a windshield out without cracking it. About the time I got out of it, they were starting to use urathene to glue them in instead of the soft stuff. According to what they told us that this was suppose to help keep the roof up in case of a roll over accident. Scary. Up until then I always heard they wanted them to pop out. Anyway, make sure that they are the same glass. I can remember there was a differance in glass on chevys, same year, same model, were one considered hard top vs and one consired one sedan. Or 2 door vs 4 door. I beleive they still use NAGS numbers for windshields.

We used an electric windsheild knife that was heated to get them out. Of course, we did care about the old windshield. On my 94 Ranger, which I didn't do, the rubber comes with the windshield and is glued in ??? Good luck.

Reply to
Bill