I need to do a 2" rear drop. 1974 F-250

Howdy all,

I am in the middle of restoring my 1974 Ford F-250. The restoration will be a sport type theme. As such I want the truck to ride level when empty, instead of higher in the rear as it currently is. No, I am not looking to slam the truck down, only to bring it all down to the ride height of the front suspension. The original 9.50 x 16.5 tires will be replaced with either 245/50/16 BFGoodrich Radial TA's, or maybe 275-295's, I have not decided yet. This is for a couple of reasons. Number one I want a better contact patch to help the 460 hook up a little better. Number two I really never intend to load the truck up again. I mean, it may tow a trailer or two, but I doubt it ever gets anything bigger than a TV in the bed again.

So the problem is, I want to drop the rear ride height a bit, about 2 inches (51mm). And, there does not seem to be any good way to do it. None of the drop kits I have seen apply to the 1973 - 1978 line of trucks. Lots of kits for things made since 1987, and lots made for the pre-1956 stuff.

For as little drop as I want a shackle kit would be good enough, but no one makes one for the '74. Or, are the spring shackles from a 74 the same as for a 90?

Initially I thought about flipping the rear end, but that is way to big a drop.

Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking about removing a spring leaf, and see what that does to the height. Anyone have any insight into this?

T!

(T_O_K_E_N_(at)hotmail.com)

Reply to
Token