Old Man Emu 941 or 942 for a TJ

Hi All,

I have just now ordered the Old Man Emu suspension for my TJ. The only question I have is whether I should go for the 941 or 942 springs for the rear and confirm it to the shop. I was insisting on 942 (being heavier) as I have the hardtop, but the ARB/OME dealer showed me the spec sheets and suggested I use the heavier shocks (N67), but medium spring for the hardtop (941). The heavier spring is if I am carrying 220 pounds of constant weight on top of the hardtop. Free height is slightly less for the heavier spring, but it is 16mm in diameter (as opposed to 15mm for 941). Spring rates are 140 lbs/in for 941 and 160 lbs/in for 942. His logic was that stiffer spring (942) would be rough over the corrugated roads that we have in some places.

I am going for heavy springs (OME933) and shock (N66) in the front.

Other than the hardtop and bigger spare tyre than stock daily (and a tool box full of stuff and recovery items when on trails), everything is stock at this stage including skid plates and rear bumper. What do you guys think? Another thing the guy said was that he has never put 942 on a Wrangler in New Zealand. If I do still insist on the 942 spring, I will have to wait for about a month for it to arrive from Australia on special order.

Thanks TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to