keyless remote

My remote stopped working so I put in a new battery. It still doesn't work. This is for a 2002 Ranger. Isn't that too soon for a remote to wear out? Do I need to do something else to get it working?

Reply to
MinnesotaMike

If it was just battery it should be working. When you put in the battery you should tweek the springy contacts for a positive connection. Also visually check for evidence of moisture. Made it got washed.If you want to try reprogramming. here the steps.NOTE: All keyless entry remote transmitters are programmable and must be set at the same time.

NOTE: To program (or reprogram) the keyless entry remote transmitters into the central security module, carry out the following steps:

Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the central security module has successfully entered program mode, it will unlock and lock all doors. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programed. If the door locks do not respond for any keyless remote transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Diagnosis and Testing in this section. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, or wait up to 20 seconds after Step 2, to exit program mode. If a keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed (or reprogrammed), the central security module will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

Reply to
monkeyboy

I tweaked the contacts for a good connection and still nothing. I checked for any signs of moisture and I don't see anything. Do you think a reprogram will work, or is that a waste of time? I've never had to reprogram a remote after installing a battery. Thanks.

Reply to
MinnesotaMike

Thats correct you don't have to reprogram after batt replacement. But this does two things by going through the reprogrm steps it will, by the locks cycling up and down, show you that the module is working and putting it's self in the program mode. and then by pushing any button,on the remote, try all of them if the first doesn't work. then at least you'll know the module is ok and replace the FOB, finger operated button, or remote. Diagnosing is a process of elimination and is never a waste of time. What if you reprogrammed it and it worked. Oh what the heck just trade it in.

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com